UM3 ER18 after update

Ettuf

Posted (edited) · UM3 ER18 after update

Hi

First time i tryed printing after updateing the firmware it auto leveled and started printing fine but because the print failed (lost grip on build plate) i abort it. It then lowered the build plate and unloaded my filament.

I then reloaded the filament and tryed agian. It started printing, failed agian and when i aborted the print the bed didnt lower and i got the ER18.

My UM3 now shows the ER18 (print head connection error) every time i turn on the printer or sometimes it will start up but then gives me the ER18 message agian when i try to auto level.

I have tryed resetting it to factory settings but that didnt change the firmware back as i had hoped and it still says ER18

Could this be because of the firmware update or is it just a coincident?

Edited by Ettuf

• gr5 changed the title to UM3 ER18 after update
    Posted · UM3 ER18 after update

I think it's a coincidence as this behavior has not been reported with the update.

So the cable comes loose quite easily.  It takes all of 1 minute to fix it. 

1) Remove the 2 long screws at the rear of the print head.  You access them at the top.  Removing those completely will not do much at all - things will still stay together. 

2) Then remove the rear top cover - it covers the rear half of the print head and holds the cable in place.

3) Seat the cable better.  Push down on both ends of the connector with some kind of tool or small finger.

4) Put some blue tape or scotch tape or other shim around the cable for better cable relief so the cable won't slide upwards and pull the connector out again a few months from now.

5) Put it back together

• Thanks 1

Tomorrow you will find that you can fix this faster than you can locate and have the first sip of beer and you will wonder what all the sorrows were for, lol!

• 1 month later...

This happened to me yesterday on my UM3. I searched and I found this post, I am a quadriplegic so doing the repair described above is a little above my physical capabilities, I was going to get my wife to help me fix it.

I was so frustrated because I was needing to print. My wife wasn't going to be able to help me for awhile. I reasoned that if this was just a poor connection issue I may be able to give the white cable feeding into the printhead a little wiggle and a light pull. That is all I can manage anyway. 

Well sure enough, it fixed the problem, I didn't need to bother my wife and I was happy on my way back to printing.

Thank goodness for this forum it has helped me out many times.

By the way, if anyone has some physical capability issues, I spend most of the time using my UM3 to create custom assistive devices to help myself or others to more successfully cope with our individual environments. 3D printing is tailor made for this role.  I would love to communicate with others either in this situation or just people just trying to help.

I apologize for the hijack at the end.  

@CapableQuad

Thanks for your post. I think it is very interesting what you do and design, so please share it with the community and open a new thread with more information. I guess a good discussion and ideas will follow.

Thank You for the reply, I am a bit new to opening new threads, but I will just jump in feet first (figuratively speaking)

Thanks again