Bubbles on first layer

Posted · Bubbles on first layer

I have a problem with my ABS prints. First layer looks like the one on the photo. I have a heated bed davinci pro printer and I use 240/90 degrees temperatures (nozzle/bed). What can I do to take care of the bubbles as well as the side "lift-ups" of the brim?

IMG_4368.JPG

IMG_4369.JPG

Posted (edited) · Bubbles on first layer

Hello Andrulonis,

ABS is very difficult to print and can be toxic if heated. I advise you to use it in a well ventilated room.

Apparently you have a printer with a loudspeaker closing its help.

For the uprising, obviously you have a skirt you can increase it widths, if only the skirt is raised and the room is sticking it does not matter. Or maybe increase the temperature of your trays if it is possible.

The "bubbles" are probably due to thermal retraction you can be:

- Slightly decrease the extrusion temperature

- Slow down your printing speed in general we always win in quality.

- Increase the speed of the turbine if you do not have one.

Hope this will help you

Have a good day

Edited by nouveau
    transltate in english

19 hours ago, nouveau said:

Hello Andrulonis,

ABS is very difficult to print and can be toxic if heated. I advise you to use it in a well ventilated room.

Apparently you have a printer with a loudspeaker closing its help.

For the uprising, obviously you have a skirt you can increase it widths, if only the skirt is raised and the room is sticking it does not matter. Or maybe increase the temperature of your trays if it is possible.

The "bubbles" are probably due to thermal retraction you can be:

- Slightly decrease the extrusion temperature

- Slow down your printing speed in general we always win in quality.

- Increase the speed of the turbine if you do not have one.

Hope this will help you

Have a good day

Well only thing left to try is decreasing temperature but I also did that as well, it still doesn't help. Are there other causes of that? temperature of bed for example? I have it at 90, is it ok? Also from where do I get the problem with brim at the top part?

To me this looks like poor adhesion to the glass plate. I don't know your printer, and I haven't really printed with ABS (apart from small test pieces), but in the very beginning I had a similar problem with PLA when printing on bare glass: if the climate was too moist, I would get this effect, and have poor bonding. The solution was to improve bonding (in my case, by wiping the glass with a tissue moistend with salt water, but that only works for PLA, not for ABS).

So I think you might want to search for a better bonding method: ABS-slurry (=ABS dissolved in aceton), dilluted wood glue, 3D-LAC, strong hairspray, or something similar. And/or better cleaning of the glass, with isopropyl alcohol, but without any soaps because they reduce bonding. Also without cheap thinners or white spirits: these often leave traces of oils.

Maybe also play with the bed temperature: adjust it up and down in steps of 5°C or 10°C. It should be very close to the glass transition temperature of your ABS (=the point where it just begins to soften).

• Like 1