Layers are splitting

Posted · Layers are splitting

I have UM3 and using ABS and CPE.  All current big jobs the layers are splitting.  

Settings .2 layer height

Infill 40

support on

It's done this every time now.  Please advice?

Julian

MVIMG_20190509_092413.jpg

on the picture, your glass plate looks shifted from the aluminium plate. Could it be that the clips get loose and the glass plate is moving on the side during the print ?

This does not really look like a shift on the printed part.

Since you print with ABS (which is kind of difficult to print) can you give us some more information about your printing settings? Temperature, speed, etc...

I was using CPE and the default normal setting Cura V4  - 60mm/s speed  default printing temp 240

Try to reduce fan speed to a minimum, I guess you have too much cooling. 

And you should cover your front to keep cold air out.

Where can I find the fan speed in Cura

you can find it under cooling.

For ABS i usually turn if off or just 5%. And i also just print with a speed of 30. 

But i dont know how the setting for cpe are, never printed with cpe. 

Unbenannt.PNG

Ok did not work.  Massive mess.  I put the fan to 5%,  It was a 2 day print.  There is less splitting, but a bad mess

IMG_20190513_085346.thumb.jpg.d72eff8fcbef42c3a080fcfff496fc79.jpgIMG_20190513_085411.thumb.jpg.676bdebec830f890bc8cb3c2fe21c183.jpg

I haven't printed with ABS and CPE, but I did print several models with PET, which is similar to CPE, I think? If the model allows it and there are not too much overhangs, I always print PET *without any fan*, and slow (25...30mm/s). This gives best bonding to the glass, no warping, and best clarity. Never had any layers splitting.

For small models, I print PET on bare glass, or glass wiped with salt water. But for big models, I would rather use dilluted wood glue for PET. I don't know for ABS.

If the standard brim does not provide enough force to keep the edges of the model down on the glass, you could design a bit thicker brim in your CAD file for more stability. Sometimes I make a brim of 0.5mm.

Could be the filament swelling in the print core causing a temporary clog.  Check the filament for grinding and the feeder for ground up filament.  Check your print more regularly to catch the issue while its happening.  Dry your filament.  Or it could be poor layer adhesion caused by drafts.  You need an enclosure when printing big parts especially with ABS.