Bowden tube pops off print head

LePaul

Posted · Bowden tube pops off print head

ok yes that's good we are talking about the same thing then :) There is a clip, red, on the top which secures the tube in place - so doesn't look like it will come out totally, its just I have noticed the tube pulls away a little once the retraction starts. At the start, the tube locates into the white retainer above the print head.

There must be some locking mechanism on this as when the printer is stationary, I am able to push the tube back into place and it then locks, feels kind of like the plastic plumbing speedfit units.

Initially I spotted this on the silver but think it might have been that I happened to notice it more. I did wonder if the tube needs to pull away slightly once it starts to prevent it melting ?

I will be at a 3D print show in London over the weekend and Ultimaker are there, so will ask the guys at the show if this is an issue.

I will be at a 3D print show in London over the weekend an

Oh! I'm pretty sure Sander will be there. He has a beard. Make sure to say hi to him!

OK... update on the UM2. Had a really good chat with Sander at the show, who explained what I need to look for on the printer. (gr5 - I said hi from you)

On investigation, it seems that on my device, the plastic connector with the four blades, which holds the tube, two of these do not stick out as much as the others, it is very minimal but given they are the ones next to each other and not opposite I would imagine that when sufficient tension is applied this is enough to allow the tube to release.

Overall it doesn't appear to be causing a problem with the printing, I just need to make sure its located before I do a materials change.

Sander did say he would be able to get one of these in the post anyway so that's great.

Thanks Sander for the explanation and also the other bits of info in your talk later that day, have already started to dive into the settings and getting some really good results. Especially with the silver PLA. Will post some images up when I have the final design complete.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, the new connectors arrived, many thanks Sander and apologies for the delay in letting you know they have arrived. I have replaced the grey plug and noticed straight away the difference in how much the blades stick out compared to the other one. The tube also seems more rigid in terms of movement.

Have not had a chance to try things yet due to other things but hope to get back to printing this evening.

Well next time you are coming by Boston LePaul lets get together and fix your printer.

Great idea! Anytime...the bus goes to Logan daily

Mark do you have an Ultimaker 1 or 2?

I still haven't repaired my setup since I can't print any of the suggested fixes

Hi its the Ultimaker 2

Apologies for the long delays between posting - sadly have not had much of a chance to get printing. I'm just running a print at the moment to see how it gets on. So far seems to be holding up so fingers crossed. Although have yet to put the silver PLA in as this was where I noticed the problem more at first for some reason.

Anyway - If this fails I will try reversing the tube, had a message from Sander to try this with the suggestion that it might not have enough grip on one part. The bit that goes into the print head does have a slightly rougher finish, guess this is to ensure a good grip

Update - OK so far so good, have made several prints with a variety of PLA and the tube seems to be firmly in place since I have replaced the grey plug.

Many thanks once again Sander for the support.

A very happy customer :)

A little follow up on this!

I had a great phone conversation with GR5 about the print head bowden tube troubles.

After checking how everything was connecting and the fact I could (potentially) lift the machine by the tube as its connected...that seems to be OK.

The problem is the speed of print and pressures.

I have done two more prints since we checked out everything and those worked fine (minus the second one where the filament broke apart in the extruder)

So far so good

The UM2 is not immune to bowden popping, although it is much rarer than with the standard UM1 was in previous years. I fixed with a second horse shoe blue clip, adding a bit more "bite"

I fixed with a second horse shoe blue clip, adding a bit more "bite"

Good to know! It didn't occur to me that you could lift it farther up and it would bite harder.

minus the second one where the filament broke apart in the extruder)

lePaul and I are pretty sure the filemant tangled. It was on the floor on it's side even though it was spooled.