Printer Stops After Executing Start G-Code

CU_Ninjaneer

Posted · Printer Stops After Executing Start G-Code

I'm running Cura 4.0 on a Silhouette Alta through my MacBook Pro with macOS Mojave.  Since the MacBook only has USB-C ports, I'm connected over a USB-C to USB-A adapter then the normal USB-A to USB-B cable.  I'm printing over USB because the Alta has no provisions for printing from SD or other memory.  I am new to Cura, but I have found others on the forum using Cura with the Alta so I know it's possible.

When I print, it executes my Start G-Code to home all axes, move to the dump, prime the nozzle, move back to the bed, and print a prime blob on the bed.  Then once it reaches the actual part print, everything just stops.  The effector stops moving, the hot end heater stays on, and Cura keeps counting up the % complete, but no printing is happening so I have to abort the print.

I tried saving the G-code then copy-pasting it into the G-code input field in the monitor tab one line at a time to verify there's no issue with the G-code generated during slicing.  It all looks good, I managed to print the first layer this way.  Yes, it took forever.  

So it seems like either Cura either stops sending commands after the Start Code or my printer isn't receiving/processing the commands.  Can anyone offer any advice?

Posted (edited) · Printer Stops After Executing Start G-Code

I'll have a look at it tonight. 

A few things to try out (as long as you haven't done it already):

Have you saved the created gcode and checked it with Cura or another gcode viewer (e.g. Gcode viewer)? 

Since you write that the prime blob does function, I am pretty sure that your connections works via the connector). I suppose there is an error either in the start gcode or maybe another setting. 

Edited by jenny8008

I'm having the same exact problem.

(ultimaker orginal usb only)

This has been happening since a few days.

it did fix itself for one print after I installed the newer cura version (moved from 3.5.1 to 4.0) but the error returned after one print.

I did send some manual g code to the printer and G28 (move to home) works, but I'm unable to move the axis with G0-1, and extrude material.

The strange thing is however that when starting a print it's able to move to home, extrude at home , move to the centre and then just stops. Sometimes the temperature  indicator also drops to 0 after hitting the centre. I assume g code is still being send from the pc however since the process indicator is going up.

I did try fixing it with upgrading the firmware but that had no effect.

Edited by xyzlord

jenny8008, thanks for the link to that site.  I didn't know about it. It renders fine on Gcode viewer, but when I try to open the G-code in Cura I get an error. I don't understand why.  Cura generated the G-code so how can it not read the file it created? 

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 7.44.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 7.49.47 PM redacted.png

obewan, here's the project file.  Let me know if you find anything.  Thanks.

CFFFP_Spinning_Hallows_v3.3mf

I can find no problems with the project file, slices and prrints ok in cura 4.0.

Have you tried re-slicing the object ?

You have set a Change at Z-Height (Extensions - Post Processing - Modify G-Code), you set the temperature at layer 1 to 210 °C, the default print temperature is at 205 °C. I would remove the Change at Z-Height, that doesn't make sense to me.

Another cause may be the activated cooling fan, I would uncheck that and give it another try.

obewan, I tried reslicing with a different profile, draft instead of fine.  Same result.  Thanks for taking a look.

Edited by CU_Ninjaneer
    Autocorrect fixed "reslicing" for me

jenny8008, that's so weird.  I do not see that Change at Z-Height.  I opened up the project file that I posted, not there.  I create a new project, not there.

I wonder about the cooling fan too.  I've tried both with it enabled and disabled, and I get the same results either way.  I tried editing the G-code to comment out all of the M106 and M107 commands, but I can't get Cura to recognize the g-code that it makes, which makes no sense.

What version of Cura are you running with your Alta?  Maybe I should try a different version in case there's some incompatibility in 4.0?  Or if you are running the same version, maybe I need to uninstall and reinstall this same version.

Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 6.14.57 PM.png

I had the same problem and it ended up being related to a broken temperature sensor, I replaced the wiring and sensor and everything worked again after that.