Troubleshooting minor print issues

Posted (edited) · Troubleshooting minor print issues

Hi Everyone,

Hoping I can get a bit of advice here. I purchased an Anycubic Chiron recently and have encountered a few minor print issues which i'm not 100% certain how to remedy.

Using Cura 4.0 with many of the general settings auto-selected through the machine profile for the Anycubic i3 Mega.

Extruder: 0.4mm; Layer height: 0.2mm; Infill overlap: 15%; Print speed: 50mm

1) Surface blemishes on top and bottom layers:

image.thumb.png.0a87cc5e966a1af557b9817b858aac48.pngThese blemishes are showing up on my prints from the extruder traveling between print areas. Would I remedy this within the Combing settings by changing it to Not in Skin or Within Infill?

Are there alternative solutions?

2) Wall separation on straight vertical sections:

image.thumb.png.cb43ceddb53f3190f0cdd681e6841aa6.pngimage.thumb.png.51f1beee91d208c929d077638b1655ce.png

Left image shows the issue I'm encountering. Right image shows that generally there are no gaps in my prints between walls or walls and infill.

What is causing the wall separation in the left image? Is this from print speed or something else?

I'm not sure what settings I need to change to remedy this.

3) Difficult to remove supports.

image.thumb.png.a3256544fadf77236f3c3b1593707489.pngI'm halfway through printing the "Phone Walker" from Thingyverse. This is the first model I've printed which requires supports.

On the two feet, the supports removed fairly easily but did pull off a few pieces of the final surface layer.

On the stand picture to the left, the supports were a PITA to remove as they were solidly attached to the top and bottom surface layers. It took a fair amount of post-processing time to remove them with minimal damage to the print surface. I think I had just used the default Cura support settings.

Would I remedy this with Support Z Distance, Support Top Distance, or Support Bottom Distance? or is there another setting to change?

I'd like know how to correct this before I print the legs as they have a fair amount of supports to remove...

Your suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated - Thanks! 🙂

Edited by CaptRohan

Posted · Troubleshooting minor print issues
    1 hour ago, CaptRohan said:

These blemishes are showing up on my prints from the extruder traveling between print areas. Would I remedy this within the Combing settings by changing it to Not in Skin

Yes, not in skin solves this problem.

Regarding the wall separation, I would say it is under extrusion, but if it is only at the hole, maybe it is something else and you can solve it with a Cura setting. 

Thanks Smithy - I will give the not in skin setting a try.

Still researching the wall separation issue and going through the Cura setting resources for a possible solution, as it happens intermittently - usually around curves and sharper turns. Another example below of the issue where it's happening around the teeth, but not on the thin inner walls.

image.thumb.png.9622a36da0e0cdeee776819d72195db3.png

The wall separation is almost surely underextrusion.  Maybe 20% underextrusion.  Try printing at half speed and the problem will probably go away.  The reason it's only in some places implies you might have some "play" also known as "backlash".  Try printing at half speed.

Also I don't know anything about your brand of printer but if it has belts then they should be tight to reduce play.  Typically 100Hz on a guitar tuner is a decent tightness for belts.

Also push gently on the nozzle in X and then Y direction but not hard enough to move the steppers.  How much can you move it back and forth?  That's your backlash.  Hopefully it's no more than 0.1mm.