Heater Cartridge Wire - UM2+

Futz34

Posted · Heater Cartridge Wire - UM2+

Hi everyone,

Well I recently had a nylon print pull up on me overnight and get caught on the nozzle. Needless to say, it gummed up the entire print head where I had to buy a heat gun to pull off all the gobs of nylon. Yeah, big old mess, I won't forget this one. In the process of cleaning out, I accidentally broke the heating cartridge wire where it connects to the metal cylinder, after the metal crimp. I'm assuming there isn't a way to put that back on there easily so does anyone have recommendations on a replacement or what to do? Thanks so much in advance.

I sell them: thegr5store.com

Get a 35W while you are at it.  The nozzle heats up faster and doesn't limit your printing volume as much: if you print with 0.8mm nozzle and at 0.4mm layers, the standard heater can't keep up (just printed a 1mm nozzle 0.5mm layer part yesterday).

My nylon sticks so well that it sometimes pulls a chunk of glass off when I remove the part.  For nylon I use the exact PVA mixture shown in this video but UM recommends to use glue stick alone to prevent damaging the glass (nylon and CPE have each damaged my glass they stick so damn well).

Anyway watch this video to understand techniques to keep parts on the glass - you should be able to pick up the entire printer with a small UM robot print (I do this in the video).

I use a bed adhesion sheet and no glue. That obviously didn't work for this. Do you think I should use the bed adhesion sheet with glue or flip it over and just use glass?

I'd peel off the sheet for Nylon.  It's great for PP.  Is it already ripped in places anyway?  Flipping over is fine.  The two sides of the glass are not identical - one side is hydrophobic or something - not sure.  But I've flipped over 2 of my glass plates on 2 of my ultimakers and it prints fine.  I mean I always have a coating of PVA (as shown in the video) so I'm not sure it matters which side I print on.

I never thought to just peel off the sheet. Can I reuse and reapply it after I'm done printing Nylon? I have one of those PEI sheets with the adhesive on the back. I'm on the Amazon page right now for it and it doesn't say if it's reusable after peeling the whole thing off.

Oh - PEI.  I thought you meant the Ultimaker bed adhesion sheets.

I don't have a lot of experience with PEI sheets - but definitely don't peel it off.  Flip the glass over.  hopefully it won't stress the clips that hold the glass.