Debris in silicone nozzle cover

Link

Posted · Debris in silicone nozzle cover

Hi,

I have noticed the silicone nozzle cover get some sort of crusty material in it around the nozzle, its brown in colour, any idea what this is ?, i have only had the S5 for 1.5 and only printed a few parts so would be surprised if the silicone cover was degrading already ??

How fast it will degrade depends on the material and temperature used, but it should last for more than just a few prints normally. Luckily the part is super cheap (like 1 euro) so in case of doubt just replace it. It’s a part of which you always want to keep a few on stock

Still using the one that come with my S5 here and it's still fine and i have 108 days of run time on the printer. It's likely you are using prime blobs at the start and you get left with a bit of filament on the cover around the nozzle due to how the prime blob works. So without seeing any image i would say its just burnt filament what you can just clean off.

8 hours ago, Carla_Birch said:

Still using the one that come with my S5 here and it's still fine and i have 108 days of run time on the printer. It's likely you are using prime blobs at the start and you get left with a bit of filament on the cover around the nozzle due to how the prime blob works. So without seeing any image i would say its just burnt filament what you can just clean off.

thanks, yes i think you are right. 

I do find that the priming options available on the S5 are not great, the blob does this and with no blob you get streaks of material dragged across the plate !

I think with the last update the prime blob was edited a bit in how it works so it does seem to drag a bit of filament across the build plate now. It really could do with lifting the head more when it primes so that it don't get filament stuck all over the nozzle what then drags some across. Maybe @SandervG could pass the feedback on to the right team members.

2 hours ago, Carla_Birch said:

I think with the last update the prime blob was edited a bit in how it works so it does seem to drag a bit of filament across the build plate now. It really could do with lifting the head more when it primes so that it don't get filament stuck all over the nozzle what then drags some across. Maybe @SandervG could pass the feedback on to the right team members.

Yes, I can't see why this works the way it does, the way the 2+ primed was much simpler and less messy, just extrude a length of filament from a height, then retract whilst moving to the start of the print, the S5 method seems overly complicated and makes either a mess on the nozzle or across the bed. @SandervG could this be looked at,y S5 is better than my 2+ in all areas appart from this, this actually is not as reliable and clean as the simpler 2+ method. 

Thanks