Add Max Infill Resolution [FR]

kulfuerst

Posted · Add Max Infill Resolution [FR]

Hello everyone,

I would like to share my idea of adding the option to reduce the max XY resolution of infill specifically. Since the resolution of infill is not that important and infill types like gyroid can be made up of many small arcs, reducing the resolution of infill specifically has the potential to increase print speeds via USB, especially on machines with a small buffer like my Anycubic i3 Mega. Thank you very much 🙂

Hello @kulfuerst, that's an interesting idea.

The gyroid infill at the moment uses 16 segments per wave length. That produces nice curves and looks like this...

Screenshot_2019-06-18_15-31-15.thumb.png.3422298479fbcc10de073930ae02ac73.png

8 segments per wave length is still quite smooth and looks like this...

Screenshot_2019-06-18_15-30-40.thumb.png.085da2c47637e9c1df08084dea853ed0.png

And 4 segments per wave length is pretty ugly and looks like this ...

Screenshot_2019-06-18_15-30-05.thumb.png.c23775fcecacbc2774fa3fa6b8dc37a0.png

Lower resolution infill would slice quicker also.

I think it would be good to give people the choice to it just remains to decide the best way of achieving that.

• Like 1

That is exactly what I had in mind. Glad to see I expressed myself in an understandable fashion 🙂
    And looking at that 4 segment gyroid infill I can't help but be really curious how that would look in a finished print 😄

TBH, it looks pretty crap but, hey, it's infill, it doesn't have to be pretty. However, I do wonder whether the printer will actually like printing such a zig-zag path and it may actually shake the printer to death. I shall do a test and see how bad it is.

Screenshot_2019-06-18_15-44-46.thumb.png.3e7e6bc645de1e1697e2de2135a1deff.png

Hi @kulfuerst, I printed some 1/4 res gyroid infill on my Kossel mini delta and it printed it OK. If you are running Cura on either Windows or Linux then you could try one of my builds. In which case I will build a version that has these lower resolutions for you to try.

Would that just be some file I'd have to replace or is it an entirely different installation?

It's a complete installation. I am just building a windows version now. Later it will be available at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s43vqzmi4d2bqe2/AAADdYdSu9iwcKa0Knqgurm4a?dl=0

What else sets this apart from vanilla Cura? I suppose infill resolution isn't the only thing modified in it.

39 minutes ago, kulfuerst said:

What else sets this apart from vanilla Cura? I suppose infill resolution isn't the only thing modified in it.

The README.md does mention most of the differences between my releases and Ultimaker's.

This looks great! There are so many features included which I've long been waiting for in cura! This is going to be a no brainer, thanks a lot 🙂

It is running like a charm and gyroid infill now prints flawlessly, no matter at what speed! Thank you very much for that 🙂

If I have ideas for improvement, would you like me to pitch those to you or should I post these here, as usual?

Hey, @burtoogle. I know you have stopped being able to make Mac builds because of your lack of a modern Mac... A possible route for you would be to use Azure DevOps to build it. (Disclaimer, I work for Microsoft and have used DevOps—formerly Visual Studio Team Services—quite a bit in my work, but do not work in that part of the company.)

The free tier of service includes up to 1800 minutes per month of build services in their CI/CD pipeline and they have cloud-hosted OSX machines to build Mac stuff. And you can point the build systems at your GitHub repo. It can be set to auto-build triggered on a commit to one or more branches, or you can just kick off a build at your convenience.

if you want any more info, feel free to ask.

Hello @johnse, thanks for that info. However, I doubt if I can summon the enthusiasm to investigate that. Getting an OS X build working in the first place was a PITA so I will stick to Windows and Linux builds from now on. If anyone else can be bothered to do it, the source code is all available.

Hi @kulfuerst, glad that was useful. If you have further suggestions it's probably best to either create a thread here or open an issue at https://github.com/smartavionics/Cura.

1 hour ago, burtoogle said:

Getting an OS X build working in the first place was a PITA

I am right there with you...