Cura Not Slicing as intended

TechAndrew

Posted · Cura Not Slicing as intended

Hello,

I am trying to print a plastic connector, however, after slicing with Cura, the edges (vertical "walls") of the connector are cut off, exposing the inside, even though the model (.stl) seems right.

How can I prevent Cura from cutting off the edges?

Before:

b6hSzlk.jpg

After:

T4IRKYV.jpg

Thanks!

I think the wall is simply too thin by those holes.

How thick is that space?

Normally walls need to be 2X as thick as your line width.  So if the line width is 0.4mm and the wall is 0.7mm then it won't print.  You can print down to I think line width (0.4mm in this example) if you select "print thin walls".  You can print thinner walls if you have a thinner nozzle.  Expirment by changing all the line width parameters and check "print thin walls" in cura.

FYI a 0.4mm nozzle can print a bit smaller - certainly down to 0.35mm line width is fine with a 0.4mm nozzle.  But "print thin walls" already does this.  So you don't want to go much thinner!

1 hour ago, burtoogle said:

Hello @TechAndrew, is it possible you could share the model file, I would like to have a go at slicing that. Thanks.

Ok, I attached two versions, just in case one turns out better.

One has slightly thicker walls, but I'm trying to make them as thin as possible.

AI3M_header1.3mf AI3M_header2.3mf

Thanks, I tried but the walls are too thin for my 0.4mm nozzle.

Burt, what happens if you choose line width of 0.3, 0.2, 0.1?  Eventually it will slice?  What is the threshold?  Also did you try "print thin walls"?

On 6/23/2019 at 5:23 PM, gr5 said:

Burt, what happens if you choose line width of 0.3, 0.2, 0.1?  Eventually it will slice?  What is the threshold?  Also did you try "print thin walls"?

I tried every line width. No luck.

What's the best choice of software for thickening the edge walls?

My current 3D modeling programs make it difficult to do so.

Tick 'print thin walls'

Set 'outer wall inset' to -0.15

should slice ok.