Should I update

dman97

Posted · Should I update

My personal viewpoint on software - any software - is to keep using it as long as it is stable and I am happy with it. I can do everything I want with an old MS Office 2000, so if I wouldn't need to be compatible with others, I would still be using that since I like that way more than the horrible "Ribbon" mess from Office 2007 onwards. Idem for a very old image editing program and a couple of others. I keep using old hammers and screwdrivers too.  :-)

Only things like VLC and browsers need to be updated to get the best performance (video formats) and best page display and security (browsers).

Concerning slicers, it might be a good idea to keep a couple of stable old versions on your computer, and install a newer version parallel to it, if you need some of the latest features for some prints. Then you have the latest stuff, plus a fallback. Especially if you have a printer with dual nozzle, the area where the most progress is.

But that is just my personal preference, based on my needs. Feel free to see things differently.

• Like 2

Posted · Should I update

What version do you have?  If you are using 15.X then strongly consider sticking with it unless you need some new feature.  If you have 4.0 then the update to 4.1 I believe is pretty painless.  If you have 2.X then definitely upgrade.

Posted · Should I update
    1 hour ago, gr5 said:

What version do you have?  If you are using 15.X then strongly consider sticking with it unless you need some new feature.  If you have 4.0 then the update to 4.1 I believe is pretty painless.  If you have 2.X then definitely upgrade.

I am using 3.6 now

Posted · Should I update

3.6 is fine as far as I know.  No need to upgrade.  Upgrading can mess up any profiles you may have saved.

Also if you don't have a Ultimaker printer then that's another reason not to upgrade.  There is a bug in 4.X where if extruder speed is at zero (which it is for many profiles) then cura creates a gcode to set it at the speed of light.  This large number messes up most versions of Marlin.  There have been complaints.  The fix is trivial though - just set the extruder speed to 50.

• Thanks 1