Safety_Lucas

Overhanging Wall Speed Request

Posted · Overhanging Wall Speed Request

I have had some great success with the experimental "Overhanging Wall Speed" and "Overhanging Wall Angle" features, printing unsupported walls at up to 70° without sagging! I would like a feature where the speed scalar is a function of the overhang angle, rather than a constant value that activates at some threshold angle as it is now. The effect would be that the speed at which overhanging walls are printed varies according to how steep the overhang is. 

20190626_114815.jpg

20190626_114837.jpg

Hello @Safety_Lucas, thanks for the interesting report. Can you provide more info, please? What range of speeds would you want to use WRT the overhang angle?

BTW, my Cura builds also provide a separate fan speed setting for overhanging walls:

Screenshot_2019-06-26_18-06-14.png.f1cbfa94d71a0e8ec2677da6964ca1ab.png

That feature has already been rejected by the Cura developers so it's only going to be available in my builds (Linux and Windows only, I'm afraid) which can always be found at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s43vqzmi4d2bqe2/AAADdYdSu9iwcKa0Knqgurm4a?dl=0

10 hours ago, burtoogle said:

What range of speeds would you want to use WRT the overhang angle?

@Burtoogle, Thank you for the link. I will take a look at those distributions Do you make them yourself? As in, do you write the code for Cura features? The setting is presently handled by multiplying the overall print speed by some decimal amount. I typically print at 40mm/s and scale the overhanging wall speed by 0.25. Overhangs are thus printed at 10mm/s. But I have experimented with higher and lower values from 5mm/s to 15mm/s with predictable results. I would prefer the feature be a function of overhang angle rather than a range of values though as different materials, temperatures, flow rates, etc. will require different reduced speeds to print the same overhang angle. I suspect an appropriate equation for such a feature would not be a simple straight line scale from 0 to 90° but rather would slow the print speed more severely at extreme angles and less severely at shallower angles. Like a scaled e^x sort of curve. 

2 hours ago, Safety_Lucas said:

Thank you for the link. I will take a look at those distributions Do you make them yourself? As in, do you write the code for Cura features?

Yes, I make them myself and they are based on Ultimaker's development sources + my own fixes and additions.

OK, I'll think about the speed factor. Maybe something based on the tan of the overhang angle would be good?

I'll run some experiments this weekend to come up with some good maximum speeds for various extreme angles. An equation can be made to model that data.

Not related to the request but what speed did you print at for your tests in the photo?

Posted (edited) · Overhanging Wall Speed Request

Also what fan speed?

Edited by usshadowop
accidental double post

Posted (edited) · Overhanging Wall Speed Request

@usshadowop The bulk of the print was at 20 mm/s but walls overhanging 30 degrees or more were scaled by 0.25. So 5 mm/s for the overhangs. The fan speed was 100% all the way through.

Edited by Safety_Lucas

Good stuff ! Overhangs are such a pain, I hope it will be in the official release soon.