Model dimensions too small?

Posted · Model dimensions too small?

I haven't done a lot of printing, so I'm pretty new to both Cura and modelling. The part I'm trying to print has really small dimensions and some pretty specific geometry. Parts I have printed previously could handle small geometries pretty well, so I would've thought that it was possible to make this part as well. The preview section in Cura however shows that it's not really able to make the desired shapes.

Is the part just too tiny, or are there some settings that could help with this? 

V19 Connector offset.STL

Can you show a photo?  I'm on vacation and don't have cura installed here.

Try setting the line width to 0.1mm just to see what happens.  In general wall should be 2X line widht but if you enable "print thin walls" or use a small nozzle you can print thinner things.

Alternatively the model might just not be water tight.  

Thanks for your help! I added some photos that hopefully shows the scale of the model. The overall shape is lost when I go to the preview section and see how the layers are built. 

Cura model.PNG

Preview.PNG

CAD.PNG

I don't know the cause of the slicing problem, so I will leave that to others.

But even if you could get it to slice correctly, the 6 tiny holes will be way too small to print, I think: they will get closed down. Also the circular gap around the holes will become too narrow to be functional, if it has to be functional and not only visual. (It looks like a cap for a DIN-connector or something similar?)

Unless you would use a 0.25mm nozzle at low speed, temp and layer heights, then you might have a chance.

It's supposed to be a cap for an I/O connector, yes. I kind of expected the six pin holes to be too small, but I might have to try and model the cover another way. The only nozzle I have available is 0.4mm, so it could get tricky. Thanks for your feedback!

If it is just a cap, why not leave out all internal extension and pin holes? So you only have the outside? But I think you would best print this in a softer material.

An alternative might be to print a small cup, sacrifice a real connector and clamp it in that cup, and then pour silicone moulds (non-stick model-making silicone) of this? Then the silicone plug will have the correct dimensions, and it is flexible.

I'm back from vacation.

So it's just printing it solid?  Either the model isn't water tight or there is a problem with the "normals".  An STL file consists of a list of unordered triangles with normals and the normals tell you which side of each triangle faces air and which side faces solid plastic.

I would try sending the part through netfabb first.

netfabb free repair service is here (you have to create a free account first):
    https://service.netfabb.com/login.php

Also you can play with the settings in mesh fixes settings of cura.  Enable all of them so you can see them all and maybe uncheck all of them?

What kind of cad software do you use?  Someone here will be an expert.  Most cad software makes perfect STL files every time but some (like sketchup) allow you to have unconnected, infinitely thin walls.  And in those CAD software you have to be careful there are no gaps or cracks.  Most CAD software won't let you create non-solids but a few do.

Also try viewing the part in xray mode (go to preview mode in the top center, then in the top left switch to xray mode).  If you see any red then those are problem spots.