Experimental Cura build for Raspberry Pi 4 now available

burtoogle

Posted · Experimental Cura build for Raspberry Pi 4 now available

Thank you!

It is running great on a 2gb Pi4, like you said the preview of the gcode is a bit slow but it is working.
The slicing process is surprisingly fast! I was slicing a 5mb stl in les then 30 seconds! That is twice as fast than my laptop running on a Celleron N3450 and 6GB!

34 minutes ago, MartijnD said:

That is twice as fast than my laptop running on a Celleron N3450 and 6GB!

Don't tell me, the laptop's running Windows?!

Anyway, glad the Pi release is working well. It's a shame but I don't think the preview display will ever be any better because of the low level of OpenGL supported by the Pi4 hardware. Still, it's a lot better than not working at all.

I have been attempting to build cura on my arm board ( using the guides they published ) and not having much luck, any tricks to know about? ( its not an RPI so i cant try these binaries floating around )

You could try building using my versions of the cura-build-environment and cura-build repos. They are both at github.com/smartavionics. If you check out those repos and use the mb-master branches in both it will build exactly the same as used in my arm releases. Perhaps you can then modify the build to be suitable for your hardware.

Assuming all the prerequisites are installed, in cura-build-environment do mkdir build, cd build, . ../run-cmake.sh, make. That downloads and builds Qt, Python, etc. Once that has finished (takes a few hours), in cura-build do similar, mkdir build, cd build, . ../run-cmake.sh, make. That actually builds the AppImage. 

Good luck!

5 minutes ago, burtoogle said:

You could try building using my versions of the cura-build-environment and cura-build repos. They are both at github.com/smartavionics. If you check out those repos and use the mb-master branches in both it will build exactly the same as used in my arm releases. Perhaps you can then modify the build to be suitable for your hardware.

Assuming all the prerequisites are installed, in cura-build-environment do mkdir build, cd build, . ../run-cmake.sh, make. That downloads and builds Qt, Python, etc. Once that has finished (takes a few hours), in cura-build do similar, mkdir build, cd build, . ../run-cmake.sh, make. That actually builds the AppImage. 

Good luck!

Tks, ill give it a shot this weekend.  ( for what its worth i have RK3399 chips and Nvidia stuff ( TX1 and nano .. soon a Xavier )

Newbi her...

Downloaded the armhf file on my pi 4, how do i install the program on the pi?

kind regards

Roger

The file is an AppImage. You make it executable (chmod +x filename, or via the context menu in your desktop manager) and run it.

46 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

The file is an AppImage. You make it executable (chmod +x filename, or via the context menu in your desktop manager) and run it.

Must do something wrong...!

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ chmod +x Cura-mb-master-armhf-20191226.AppImage
    chmod: cannot access 'Cura-mb-master-armhf-20191226.AppImage': No such file or directory
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ 

first cd into the folder where the file is located...

6 hours ago, ahoeben said:

first cd into the folder where the file is located...

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I know a lot more Linux now after a few tutorials..Cura up running😊

/Roger

just got my PI 4 4gb with fan and i have the appimage 0201 working okay,  The other app images 0208, 0218, 0301 loads up but have black or grey boxes where the file-help is and pretty much every where else. Anyone have this problem?  Would like a version if possible with the thingiverse browser plugin and perhaps octoprint if possible. 

Thanks for your time,

David T

Hello @Ludenation, have you followed this instruction in the README?

• Make sure your PI 4 has the libgles-dev package installed (sudo apt-get install libgles-dev).

• Like 1

no i did not to be honest. i am now. Still new to this i had my buddy set this up, now im trying to learn i aplogize

Posted (edited) · Experimental Cura build for Raspberry Pi 4 now available

When I slice using cura after installing libgles-dev this happens. The object becomes blurry and is see through in spots. 

Apology for the lack of terminology I'm a noob.

20200303_181821.jpg

20200303_181806.jpg

Edited by Ludenation

What happens now? I don't understand what the problem is.

• Like 1

Here's an example. When I slice the object looks all blurry in comparison to cura 4.4 on my laptop. 

Hopefully this will clarify my issue.

Thanks for responding so quickly btw!

20200221_121657.jpg

2 minutes ago, Ludenation said:

Here's an example. When I slice the object looks all blurry in comparison to cura 4.4 on my laptop. 

Hopefully this will clarify my issue.

Thanks for responding so quickly btw!

20200221_121657.jpg

That's because it's running in compatibility mode. It needs OpenGL 4.1 for the "realistic" layerview

• Thanks 1

Yes, well if you had read the README file you would know that the PI 4 doesn't support the Open GL version required for the full layer display.

* Due to the version of OpenGL that is supported, the layer display is limited to compatibility mode.

* Also due to the legacy OpenGL support, the new "orientate selected face downwards" feature is not available.

• Thanks 1

Actually, the reason I have recently moved to using GLE instead of Open GL on the PI 4 is because in the future, it may well support GLE 3.2 (the HW is capable of it) in which case it will have fragment shaders and it may be possible to use the full layer view.

• Like 1

What version of Cura is this based on? Would you be willing to do a special request for Cura 15.04.6?

3 hours ago, phoenixbyrd said:

What version of Cura is this based on? Would you be willing to do a special request for Cura 15.04.6?

It's based on the UM master branch heavily modified by my own additions/fixes/bugs.

Sorry, I can't take on any more builds, I already spend far too much time on this stuff as it is.

9 hours ago, burtoogle said:

It's based on the UM master branch heavily modified by my own additions/fixes/bugs.

Sorry, I can't take on any more builds, I already spend far too much time on this stuff as it is.

No worries, I got your version to work after emailing the company I bought the printer from. Turns out they had a tutorial for x86 version of Cura 15.04.6 there. Used that to figure out how to change the settings to match as best as possible to your build and now it looks like everything is working great. 

Thanks for the build! I'm very happy I can now print, control and monitor my printer right from my pi4!

Hello, I have tested two systems(ubuntu&debian)on pi4B, neither of which can run this appimage. What is your system and version?tks!

Hello @flyhh, it's just the normal Buster (aka debian 10).

What happens when you try to run the image?

Posted (edited) · Experimental Cura build for Raspberry Pi 4 now available
    2 hours ago, burtoogle said:

Hello @flyhh, it's just the normal Buster (aka debian 10).

What happens when you try to run the image?

pls look Here ,Many black squares, can not see text and icons 

236C6613-B713-4103-A547-6FF92F9A70E0.jpeg

8909E91C-AB50-4BE4-BBDE-D2D592964C01.jpeg

80294852-4549-4485-93B8-6BB98475A137.jpeg

AADFBCF7-A9DA-438B-8EE9-1CE392008EDB.jpeg

Edited by flyhh