Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Experimental Cura build for Raspberry Pi 4 now available

Posted · Experimental Cura build for Raspberry Pi 4 now available

x86 and arm are completely different instruction sets.  Much of Cura is written in C++ including the "engine" which does the actual slicing.  When you compile C++ to instructions you have to tell the compiler what CPU instruction set to compile to.  All the intel cpu chips and AMD chips support x86 instructions but there are many other CPUs that have their own (better?) instruction set.

It's more complicated than this because there are also operating system differences from one linux to another (which you can get around) but if you don't even use an x86 cpu then that's a huge deal.

• 4 weeks later...
    • Replies 130
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now available is a Linux AppImage that runs on an armhf system (e.g. a Pi 4). It has received minimal testing but it does appear to work (I sliced a benchy OK!).   Obviously, even the amazin

I have managed to workaround the various limitations and bugs in the graphic library and now have quite a nice display. It still has some compromises compared to the other builds (Linux/Mac/Windows) a

Here's the system it was built on. Very nice case from thingiverse sliced without top/bottom skins, just gyroid infill. The SSD wasn't actually used during the build as all files were on the SD card.

Posted Images

Hi 

newb here so im probably missing somthing simple but how do you run/execute the CuraEngine.exe file? as far as I know .exe files are only executeable on windows.

And also is that the only file I would need to download or is there other stuff that is needed?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

OK.  I know this is going to be a long shot, but it sure would be nice if it works.  First I'm going to try to get this to work on my ARM64 Lenovo Chromebook C330 with Linux emulation - totally encouraged by the comment in the ReadMe that says "the AppImages also run on Chromebooks that support Linux apps" though I understand that's the x86_64 architecture - but still - hopeful!  Anyway, I have downloaded and set the execute bits on Cura-mb-master-aarch64-20201121.AppImage and when I try to execute it, this happens:

steinhelten@penguin:~$ ./Cura-mb-master-aarch64-20201121.AppImage
    ./Cura-mb-master-aarch64-20201121.AppImage: error while loading shared libraries: libz.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I tried to use apt to load libraries, but both were not found:

steinhelten@penguin:~$ sudo apt-get install libgles-dev
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package libgles-dev

steinhelten@penguin:~$ sudo apt-get install libz
    Building dependency tree       
    E: Unable to locate package libz

So - I know this is a long shot, but if anyone has a suggestion for me, I'd like to try it.

Failing this - what about the X11 remote display capabilities of running the program on my RPI4 4GB but having the display be my ChromeBook?  I think, in theory, that should be possible, if I ever figure out the permissions correctly, and figure out how to set the DISPLAY environment variable correctly...

Hey, an update!  I did some research, and that led me to do this:

sudo apt install zlib1g-dev

Now, when I run the Cura executable, it "runs" but I get this:

image.png.c0f08b4ab0eba73e21aaf7907736b110.png

If I expand that a bit, I get

image.png.7e7f03c110df77f34934cf8962addb09.png

but that's still a bit obscure, and I'm not sure what it thinks it is asking me.  If I click OK, i think it just silently exits.

Suggestions?

On 1/2/2021 at 12:09 PM, steinhelten said:

OK.  I know this is going to be a long shot, but it sure would be nice if it works.  First I'm going to try to get this to work on my ARM64 Lenovo Chromebook C330 with Linux emulation - totally encouraged by the comment in the ReadMe that says "the AppImages also run on Chromebooks that support Linux apps" though I understand that's the x86_64 architecture - but still - hopeful!  Anyway, I have downloaded and set the execute bits on Cura-mb-master-aarch64-20201121.AppImage and when I try to execute it, this happens:

steinhelten@penguin:~$ ./Cura-mb-master-aarch64-20201121.AppImage
    ./Cura-mb-master-aarch64-20201121.AppImage: error while loading shared libraries: libz.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I tried to use apt to load libraries, but both were not found:

steinhelten@penguin:~$ sudo apt-get install libgles-dev
    Building dependency tree       
    E: Unable to locate package libgles-dev

steinhelten@penguin:~$ sudo apt-get install libz
    Building dependency tree       
    E: Unable to locate package libz

So - I know this is a long shot, but if anyone has a suggestion for me, I'd like to try it.

Failing this - what about the X11 remote display capabilities of running the program on my RPI4 4GB but having the display be my ChromeBook?  I think, in theory, that should be possible, if I ever figure out the permissions correctly, and figure out how to set the DISPLAY environment variable correctly...

I used to use Cura on my old Chromebook, I got it just by downloading the .AppImage from their website and then opened it with ./(whatever-I-called-it).AppImage  you have to open it that way every time so try to name it something short, I just used "c". Hopfully this works for you too 😃

I don't think it's possible to run cura on an Arm processor unless you specifically compile it for that instruction set.  The appImage cura that Ultimaker has out there is for X86 architecture only and the raspi version talked about on this topic is only for raspberry pi.