First Layer Problem

chriss

Posted · First Layer Problem

Hi guys!, I've just received my Ultimaker Original 3 days ago, I'm so exited!.

The machine is working perfect. The first time that I printed (the robot) with Cura 13.06.4, printing was fine. After that, I decide to use some other printing features in "full setting mode". Here start the problems, I couldn’t never more make a good print, especially on first layer. I spent 2 day printing with changing different parameters on full setting mode to reach the first layer, but was impossible. Always the fist layer did not stick on bed (the most important problem).

After 2 days, I come back to basic print menu and.... voilá! everything was perfect!!

In few words... in full setting mode is impossible for me to print well, even if I reload the Profile.

I'm using USB to PC connection and win xp.

Have any one any idea what's going on?

I will really appreciate you help!,

Thanks!

PD. Sorrry my english, I speak spanish.

Could you be more specific with what you're having trouble with? A "bad" print is a very wide term :) You say that you are having trouble especially on the first layer, what is failing for you? Is it not sticking properly or is there some other issue?

The bottom layer. The first layer. It's very critical. The default settings set the bottom layer to .3mm so your levelling can be off by a whole .1mm and you will be okay.

But if you start printing the first layer at .2mm now you need levelling to about .05mm accuracy and if .1mm then you need accuracy to about .03mm.

So the first thing you need to get perfect is levelling. You know you have it perfect when the bottom layer looks like this photo:

http://ultimaker.ipbhost.com/uploads/gallery/album_203/gallery_4795_203_296761.jpg

The other thing - is if you clean your blue tape with isopropyl alcohol - this will make things stick to the tape much better. The blue tape has something that is not sticky on it when new. You need to clean this off with isopropyl alcohol (or other solvents will work - probably paint thinner will work but then you have to wait for it to dry - acetone will probably also work).

If these two advice don't help, please show photo of part that didn't stick if possible. Especially photograph while printing the first layer.

• 9 months later...

Just use the "skirt" or "brim" option in Cura and it will print a line all the way around your part when it starts printing. Make sure that line is squished into the tape (or glass bed) like in the picture. If not abort the print and adjust the bed accordingly.