Sovol SV01

Hi. New user here and I have just ordered my first 3D printer - a Sovol SV01. I chose this model because it has direct-drive rather than a Boden setup and I am led to believe this will let me print with a wider range of filaments. It is based on mostly Creality components and may even be manufactured by Creality. As I said I am completely new so I am going on information gathered from various websites. My choice may have been the best however as I am struggling to find printer settings. The manufacturer's manual states in Cura select Creality CR-10 then Change Printer Settings to ( 300, 260, 300) but the SV01 Printing Size is 240x280x300mm, also given by the manual. Does anyone here have an SV01?

Posted · Sovol SV01

So, on the off chance that someone does have an SV01 and that they read this...

Sovol came back to a message I posted on their website. They confirmed "...the parameters of SV01 is X280*Y240*Z300"

I have no idea whether this rectangular shape build plate is unusual but it is not helpful that there is some inconsistency in giving the dimensions, i.e. "240x280x300mm" vs, "X280*Y240*Z300"

Hi!

Standing in front of your printer, is the bed 280 mm from front to back or from left to right? I can't really tell it from the picture of my link, but I would say from left to right. This would be X then, if orientated like normal. But I can't imagine that Sovol swapped X with Y.

Anyways, give it a go and print something small with settings X280 and Y240. The worst case would be, that it is printed turned by 90 degrees. The XYZ Cube would be handy here.

Posted · Sovol SV01

The print bed is actually 300mm wide from left-to-right standing in front of the machine. And 255mm deep, front to back. I assume it is common to reduce the physical maximum measurements to a more conservative print area.

I am now fiddling with the Z-axis. The print head wants to go lower than the print bed. It is not clear where the limit switch should be fitted. So I will move it further up and try that.

Thanks for your interest.

Hi!

Yes, this is common. In most cases it is limited by the size of the print head or the length of the axes. The print bed is almost always physically bigger than the available print space. The reason may be that there could be tiny imperfections at the edge of the plate itself due to the manufacturing process and that way you make sure the print can stick properly to the bed.

Yes, moving up the switch if possible is the easiest fix. Take a look at the printbed, are the leveling screws very long? Maybe tightening all the bed screws the same amount could bring down the bed enough to make the switch work.

Posted · Sovol SV01

So I went ahead and moved the X-axis limit switch 3 mm further up the vertical frame. This saves having to crush the bed springs down excessively. Issue fixed.

Still not getting a test print (XTZ cube) to stay fixed to the print bed - so failed prints. I have levelled the bed multiple times. I have even drag on a piece of paper all over the print bed, which is glass with a textured surface - looks very much like Anycubic Ultrabase.

The supplied gcode file for the XYZ cube prints with settings for 50 deg C base and 200 deg C extruder. My understanding of this part may not be perfect! The cube print fails at about 20% of the expected height.

Ongoing...

What material are you printing? Have you tried printing with a brim? 

Adhesion issues often show up on the first layer. Perhaps sharing a picture of your first layer would let one of the experts suggest solutions.

Posted (edited) · Sovol SV01

johnse - thanks!

I am printing with the 200g sample reel of PLA which was supplied with the printer. And, so I understand, is manufactured by Sovol themselves. A brim/raft? is being used.

Trying again. Having edited the gcode to raise the bed temp to 60 deg C from 50.

tBvTA8ijKe4UadgT2wbmVjtkDEq-sCwuTLCuK0IFR-bq5klf5DHjCItou4i9Mg6IkHOTw5gNFwmUMweZwZ-DtWRDdiKBJnC685Iqh1Xh0R_SyKUDnJIAhSqHbZ9Q5VRGfD6tkczxqWFpiBa9qabFZPmIKU4aNnsrxpKO_b5KQ2GLPeoEmIcVMYS9b5Ody4xesufQ9u0J4KgnoTSvbZ3VFnl-E8goFCkwU1OIGajloH_az4Hyn04TkAbug5UPpMoKfPBHyt4OROp41_G7ihnsAoqNbzjtQ4Np7W56OZHqqs-qXBNKHJpeDXbxve-_b4lQu_IofY7DfuV_x-DMjCVerma471v4aG8EYuqAUAw4wPep5Au0vkGQqWjcBhSFDkHnKrL_tk2Nz9folCw20kbVgO9wLyEdBN-gIWADS5kjqRCysIbDn8HGelpZUNiftvs6vWTeqxNadd6UaYMk9HsT0xYo_tHom3ITU-UnoXvDgKQCJvsC19zVKS0w1Le7J5OApPSTatKMm2k7__w4hwyiTRCsYSlizPVmwvypKuwheY8CWEI1xMHX-8CXt93fzc9QgscWdL2G8_dRnV_m60Pi012iEo8Ryb0ZaQOK1249F__fQYpIOYYXMe2EJrLEbvz5OthzmBjNvg6NJam1_ilQdzp12SEnGE6RvvfVEtr3HhkPhHD2lIaC_Q=w1250-h937-no

Edited by 8031brown

20 hours ago, 8031brown said:

Still not getting a test print (XTZ cube) to stay fixed to the print bed - so failed prints. I have levelled the bed multiple times. I have even drag on a piece of paper all over the print bed, which is glass with a textured surface - looks very much like Anycubic Ultrabase.

Guess it is still the nozzle distance... do you have a piece of paper with 0,1 or 0,15mm to level? Use that on your heated printer. After that: move the cube to one corner in front, slice with brim (and a 60°C bed temperature) and start the print. Turn the level knob on that corner carefully while printing until the melted plastic sticks to the bed. You will get a feeling of how to correct the other knobs.

Keep in mind not to turn too much, cause 4 knobs is actually one too much - the bed base will deform to much.

Some people print a rectangle in the size of their printing area and correct the bed level while printing on all 4 corners - you have to be fast 😉

Good luck!

(If possible, you can preheat nozzle and bed for PLA and extrude by hand - but i dont know the extruder on your machine. It's s trick for a bondtech clone on my ender 3)

Posted · Sovol SV01

dxp - thanks!

I think I have it pretty much dialled in now. I designed a model of my own, set bed temp to 60 dec C, used a brim, adjusted level one more time whilst the bed was hot.

We have a passable result. Anyway, I'm reasonably pleased given that this is my first time doing any of it...

Thanks to all who have shown an interest.

IMG_20190905_183129456.jpg

IMG_20190905_183140334.jpg

IMG_20190905_183208875.jpg

• Like 1

Nice! Glad, you nailed it down!

• Like 1

Buddy, I'm also kinda of a newbie but that house print looked nice! 

Posted · Sovol SV01

kimball - thanks. Good luck with your 3D prints!

you should look for the sovol user group on facebook, great place for info and help from fellow sv01 owners / users.