zaph

Ultimaker 2+ keeps printing without filament

Posted · Ultimaker 2+ keeps printing without filament

first of all: hi to all!
coming from another 3D-Printer I finally made the step for the Ultimaker 2+ and I'm really glad I did!
one thing I need help or a good advice though is how to deal when the filament spool gets empty and I'm not around.
I like to start a 3D print either over-night or during the day when I'm out at work.
my previous printer had a device to detect if there is no more filament and paused the print.
but the Ultimaker 2+ just continues without the filament and it's quite a hustle to get the last bit of filament out of the bowden tube.
how do you guys deal with this problem?
is there something I missed to prevent that the Ultimaker 2+ keeps printing without filament?
BIG thanks in advance to get this single inconvenient Ultimaker 2+ problem solved!

Hi zaph,

Unfortunately only the ultimaker s5 has filament end detection. The way we normally solve it is by weighing how much we have left on our spool and looking if it corresponds to what we need in Cura. We always keep a maring here just to be save. Hope this helps a bit. 

Kind regards,

Job van Gennip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thanks @Job_van_gennip for your input!
it is a surprise that a printer in this prize range doesn't offer some kind of filament end detection 😳

well then lets get a scale and hope for possible upgrades!

Don't forget that the UM2+ is already over 3 years old, at that time a filament sensor was not so common.

An upgrade to a filament sensor won't come, but it's not that important. I have the sensor for the S5, it works very well there, but the time between pause and change of filament should not be too long, otherwise you will see it at the end.