Bearthunder

Cura as a macro focus rail software

Posted · Cura as a macro focus rail software

I've rebuilt a 3D printer to work as a macro focus rail for photographing, and I'm testing Cura as a software to control the stepper motors. Everything works great, but I have a question. 

In the Monitor -> Printer control, where can I set the jog distances to be used? I was looking for some sort of ini of config file, but can't anything. The minimum of 0.1 is actually too much in my case as I need to be able to do steps down to 5 microns or less. :-P Are the settings adjustable without too much problems, or are they hard coded into the software?

It is not that I don’t love that you are using Cura for something that it is so unsuitable for, but have you checked out Pronterface?

The USB printing support is rather under-developed in Cura. 

3 hours ago, ahoeben said:

It is not that I don’t love that you are using Cura for something that it is so unsuitable for, but have you checked out Pronterface?

The USB printing support is rather under-developed in Cura. 

That actually looks quite interesting! Thank you. 🙂 Would you also happen to have some advice on what firmware (running on an Arduino board with Ramps 1.4) would be easiest for me as a total noob would be easier to tweak to for me?

Marlin is fairly hackable. One might even say the code is a series of hacks.