Ultimaker S5 Y Axis getting out of the sliding blocks

V3DPrinting

Posted · Ultimaker S5 Y Axis getting out of the sliding blocks

Hi

I had an issue mid June were the Y axis of the print head was no more held by the sliding blocks and dropped down after 6 months of usage of the printer.

I replaced them under warranty, thanks to the French Ultimaker distributor.

Today I discovered that one of the sliding block that have been replaced is now not snug any more and the Y axis is going to get out of it, after only 2 months of usage.

As it becomes recurrent, it is very annoying and let me think about a design flaw. For a 6 k€ professional grade printer it is a bit of a problem having it down for 2 small plastic parts.

Has anyone had this issue ?

Up ....

With some videos it might be more clearer.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bcmea9jyjpd5sm2/AAC20bI6zPjhoiX2-iZW57mha?dl=0

The issue is the small clips on the sliding block are wearing and the fit is not snug anymore with the rod.

The issue appears only on the Y axis, which is handled by the sliding blocks.

The X Axis is supported by the sliding blocks, so no issues.

Thanks for your feedback

Hi V3D,

Is it possible to get in touch with the company who fixed it in the first place? The newest version of those blocks are (as far as I know) white so maybe they replaced them with the wrong ones. I think they should be the same, but it is worth a shot. 

Hope this helps a bit.

Kind regards

Hi Job

Thanks for the information.

My printer was with the black blocks when brand new.

So in June when the French distributor sent me black blocks in order to repair, that seems to be normal.

In between, I've bought some spare ones in order to minimize the downtime, it's the same on the UM3. They are black too.

I will ask for the new version for the replacement parts.

Best regards

Hi,

It could also be that it is the other way around then, the old ones white and the new ones black so you should check with them. Have you also made sure that the axis is dry on the end? Some people lube their axis all the way making it easier for them to slip out of the clamps.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5 Y Axis getting out of the sliding blocks

Hi

I don't think the old version is white and the new black because the blocks are exactly the same on the UM3 and they are black on my UM3 bought well before the S5 was announced.

There is some oil on the axis end over the time, but currently it doesn't create any problem on the rear sliding block.

I've made a check after replacing the blocks yesterday and the faulty one is clearly worn by some 1/10 of a millimeter.

I believe there is some design flaw on the sliding blocks (at least the black one I've got) and the brackets are not big enough to ensure a snug fit over the time, as they have to handle the weight of the Y axis which is bigger than on the UM2 and UM3 (and it's the same block)

Edited by V3DPrinting

The UM3 had original white glossy blocks, but they are often broken. Then came the black ones, which don't have this problem and are actually very reliable.

The black blocks are also used on the S5.

Supposedly there are now also new white matt blocks from another material. Whether they are really better, I can't say.  

Hi Smithy

Thanks for the feedback.

Indeed the black sliding blocks are very reliable on the UM3, no problem at all after 2 years of intensive usage on my first UM3.

I cannot say the same on the S5, at least for the ones handling the Y Axis.

For my understanding, the sliding blocks were white at the beginning (heritage from the UM2) then black.

Are you confirming that the new S5 are now shipped with white Matt blocks ?

Should I request those to my provider ?

Best

David

8 minutes ago, V3DPrinting said:

Are you confirming that the new S5 are now shipped with white Matt blocks ?

Should I request those to my provider ?

I don't know if they ship now with the white ones, I don't think so. I only heard about new white ones, so not sure if they are already ready to sell and there are no experience values yet, so who knows if they are really better.

For the moment I would stay with the black ones, just make sure you have some spare parts.

Thanks Smithy

Hi All,

I'm the manager of a 3D printing lab at an art school and have experience with the Ultimaker 2+, 2+ extended, 3, S3, and the S5's....

I'm having a similar issue with the Y axis black sliding blocks breaking and the axis slipping out. In my opinion this is a design flaw that the Y axis blocks are oriented upside down compared to the X axis and don't have enough plastic to support the axis. 

Does anyone have any experience replacing the Axis + sliding block?

If you read above, there are some bad sliding blocks with this problem and it has been fixed.  Talk to your reseller.  Most likely they will send you free blocks and belts.  Replacements.  I got the replacements for my UM3 and it made a huge difference.  No more problems and I've printed more since I got the replacements than before.