U3 z-axis problem

tttttom

Posted · U3 z-axis problem

Hello there!

My U3 messed up a print and I stopped/aborted it. Unfortunately a slightly bigger piece of printed stuff was under the printing bed when the bed came down. So the bed did not touch the end switch and the z-axis started to sound very bad. I switched it off after 2 secs.

I had to unmount the switch and press it manually to get the bed free. But the bed is not working correctly anymore...

Now, does anyone know if this can be repaired by myself?

Thanks in advance!!!
Tom

These printers are very tough.  I've had happen what you experienced several times but with zero lasting damage to the printer.

It sounds more like you somehow damaged the switch?

I guess my first piece of advice is to do a manual level since you removed and replaced the switch.  This is important.

Other than that - did you bend the metal part of the switch?  If so you could bend it back.

You can push the bed up and down with power off and you can hear where it "clicks" the endstop switch.  Make sure you hear the click.  If not you might need to bend the switch a little or mount it a little higher.

Thank you for your quick response!!

Yes it was the switch. I found a plastic spacer, which was obviously mounted before and I did not see it when I took the switch off. So the switch was not centered and the bed did not touch it.

I corrected it and now it is working.

And it is good to know that one can move the bed by hand! This helps a lot 🙂

Thanks again for your real-time reaction!

Tom