Cura smooths out print in a wierd way

cHubbz

Posted · Cura smooths out print in a wierd way

Hi there! 

I'm having a wierd issue trying to slice a miniature barrel. For some reason, CURA removes pretty much all detail from the top and bottom of the barrel, and I can't figure out why.

The divots between the planks on the top are about 1mm deep, meaning that they should show up in print. Wierdly, the top isn't entirely smooth, as there are some slight indentations, although these don't seem to line up with the model at all.

I've encountered this issue once before, and I never was able to solve it then. Hopefully someone here can make sense of it!

I'm using Cura 4.2.1.

Cheers!

CuraFail1.PNG

CuraFail2.PNG

This looks like classic 'non-manifold' or 'non-watertight' issues. It looks as though Cura is trying to close up edges it thinks are proper connections.

I agree that the .3mf file is needed, but also the model as it is as well be to be definitive about the issue. This would be the .stl or .obj type and not a cura file.

Also, did you download or did you make it? What program?

6 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

This looks like classic 'non-manifold' or 'non-watertight' issues. It looks as though Cura is trying to close up edges it thinks are proper connections.

I agree that the .3mf file is needed, but also the model as it is as well be to be definitive about the issue. This would be the .stl or .obj type and not a cura file.

Also, did you download or did you make it? What program?

Aye, it would seem that way... I included the .3mf in my previous post, and I'm including the .STL here.

I made the model in blender. I've tried merging my objects together into a single object thinking that might solve it, but no luck. How do I go about making it watertight?

Nero_Barrel_3.stl

Wow - that stl file has a LOT of triangles for just a barrel.  I'm not sure if you need that many triangles for all that wood grain and if they will all be visible.  I would probably reduce the number of triangles just so that I could work with the object faster in CAD.  But that won't help your issue.

So I looked at your STL file in xray mode in cura and there is lots of red - particularly at each of the metal bands. You have surfaces just hanging in air that don't connect to anything solid.  That might be the only problem - not sure.

What CAD are you using?  Most cad programs won't let you do this.  Most CAD programs deal only with solids but some cad programs like sketchup let you deal with surfaces which is unfortunate as surfaces are unprintable unless they are connected together to make solids.

I think you are going to have to "go inside" your model and remove the extra surfaces.

Also some CAD programs that let you deal with surfaces let you paint the surface as "inside" or "outside" the solid.  For example a cube would have 6 faces and you have to tell sketchup to make the outer surfaces the "outside".  Sketchup isn't smart enough to do it all alone.  This "outside" versus "inside" property ends up in the STL and if the top rim of your barrel has it backwards it can confuse cura.

What CAD do you use?

You can also repair this model using netfabb's free service on the web.  That's a quick solution.  It's free but you have to create an acocunt.

https://service.netfabb.com/login.php