Grab "Remaining duration" variable from the USB-C port of the back of the Ultimaker 2?

revvy

Posted · Grab "Remaining duration" variable from the USB-C port of the back of the Ultimaker 2?

As a personal project, I would like to connect to my Ultimaker 2 through the USB-B port, get access to the variable that estimates remaining time as calculated by the Ultimaker 2 (the same variable that displays on the LCD screen), and send this data to either another device or another program.  

Evidently, I have much to learn about software, so I do not expect a full solution.  I would really appreciate any kind of advice on how to begin thinking about this problem, even if it's what I can start Googling to learn more - I see that all the Cura/Ultimaker code is up on Github, but I don't really know where to start.  Profuse thank-you's to whoever chooses to reply to this.

Posted · Grab "Remaining duration" variable from the USB-C port of the back of the Ultimaker 2?

By connecting via USB, you actually gain access to the serial port.

And printers are controlled via GCODEs. there are a lot you could find on the net.

UM firmware implemented a subset of the GCODEs and some might not well comformant to the standard if there is one.

I think reprap wiki would be a good start point.

Regarding to your goal, assumming you would like to print via SD card. There are GCODE tells you what's the current bytes offset starting from the begin of the file. But the catch is that there is no GCODE to tell you how long it's been printing so far (as far as I know).

So you have to track that from beginning.

Jia