S5 v5.4.6: Issues aborting print

p-kimberley

Posted · S5 v5.4.6: Issues aborting print

Hi,

I was prompted to install the v5.4.6 update on my S5 last night.

Now when aborting a print, instead of the expected behaviour which is for the nozzles to clear, followed by a button "Confirm removal", the following occurs:

1. Displays "ABORTED" with a X icon in a circle
  2. Build plate heater remains ON (!)
  3. No "Confirm removal button", seems to stay in this state indefinitely

It appears the only way to finalise the print abortion is to kill the power. After printer restart, the "Confirm removal" button appears as it did prior to the v5.4.6 update.

Over to you, Ultimaker. Hopefully you or someone else in the community can reproduce this issue. This is the second consecutive time occurring for me.

I would hope the firmware wasn't rushed out the door to provide Material Station and Air Manager support. This seems to be a pretty big oversight.

Recommend looking into this ASAP. In the meantime, I'll have to put up with this till a fix or workaround are released.

Regards,

Peter

I had the same experience but actually it is working, just the screens are different.

Before there was a circle with a progress bar during the cool down. 

Now there is just the X but the printer still cools down. After a few minutes you get the button to remove the print. Depending of the print and bed temperature this can take a while.

Same behavior when a print is finished, just with a checkmark.

Personally I preferred the previous screens, the new ones are confusing but still working. So I don't think your bed heater was still on, actually it was slowly cooling down.

Posted (edited) · S5 v5.4.6: Issues aborting print

It takes indeed pretty long to finish the abort procedure. A 'skip cooldown' procedure (which does not end up in the wrong position of the filament) would be appreciated. When you abort a print you usually don't want to wait for minutes until you can start over again.

Edited by Dim3nsioneer
    • Like 1

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

I had the same experience but actually it is working, just the screens are different.

Before there was a circle with a progress bar during the cool down. 

Now there is just the X but the printer still cools down. After a few minutes you get the button to remove the print. Depending of the print and bed temperature this can take a while.

Same behavior when a print is finished, just with a checkmark.

Personally I preferred the previous screens, the new ones are confusing but still working. So I don't think your bed heater was still on, actually it was slowly cooling down.

Thanks for replying folks. Turns out I was misled by the lack of a progress bar, which I seem to recall was there before the update. I've done a test abort and after waiting for the build plate to cool, the "Confirm removal" button appeared and I was able to carry on as normal.

That said, without a progress indicator, it's not obvious that the printer is finalising the abort sequence (see attached image). I recommend the progress indicator be restored, as this seems to be a regression.

Thanks,

Peter

S5 abort sequence.jpg

For me the wrong position of the filament is more important. When I abort a print quickly it should not have any starting conditions to a new print. 

It make me creasy. I abort a print quickly. Then I make everything ready for a new try, but I have to abort again because no filament is coming.

Is this since v5.4.6? 

yes