Printjob Naming plugin

ahoeben

Posted · Printjob Naming plugin

Your printer definition is incomplete; it does not have an extruder definition. Cura creates one in the background, but apparently there's something conflicting with my code when it does. I'll fix future versions of my plugin to be robust against this.

• 3 months later...

I'm working on a version of the Custom Job Prefix plugin that also supports a configurable postfix (I'm going to have to change the name of the plugin...). If you would like to test it out, download this development snapshot and drop it onto the Cura buildplate as if you were opening a 3d model.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 8:25 AM, ahoeben said:

I'm working on a version of the Custom Job Prefix plugin that also supports a configurable postfix (I'm going to have to change the name of the plugin...). If you would like to test it out, download this development snapshot and drop it onto the Cura buildplate as if you were opening a 3d model.

I so needed postfixes! Work great when both prefix and postfix are filled in settings. However when you leave the Prefix empty, everything in postfix settings is ignored and the printername is added to prefix. In order to get just postfix I have to add dummy character in prefix. Is there way to leave prefix empty?

• Like 1

@SpaceDiceMan: good find. I have already fixed that problem, but have not yet made a new development snapshot. I will probably do so tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...

The Custom Jobname Prefix plugin is now named Custom Printjob Naming plugin.

The plugin now has separate fields for a prefix and a postfix. It also lets you specify a path to use. This path will be limited to a subset of all outputs; currently removable drives, the Duet RepRapFirmware Integration and OctoPrint Connection plugins are supported. If the path option is supported by the plugin, a small folder icon will appear next to the job name as a quick shortcut to set the path.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
    Posted (edited) · Printjob Naming plugin

Amazing job, thank you!

I've found a small bug: if print time is more than a day, {print_minutes} doesn't convert whole time to minutes and instead shows the remaining. IDK may be its intended to be this way, but at first I expected that I'll get full print time in minutes when I use such prefix. 

I decided to go for {print_hours} anyway so it's not a big deal. But just FYI.

screenshot_cura_plugin_bug.png

Edited by chiibis

I also realized in order for proper (numeral-alphabetic) sorting, can print_time_hours and print_time_minutes consist of 2 digits? [or have another variable that provides that information with two digits] Because now my 11hr prints are sorted before my 2hr prints..

On 8/30/2020 at 10:33 AM, chiibis said:

I've found a small bug: if print time is more than a day, {print_minutes} doesn't convert whole time to minutes and instead shows the remaining.

This is by design. The intended usecase is that you combine the {print_time_hours} and {print_time_minutes} patterns.

On 8/30/2020 at 9:32 PM, SpaceDiceMan said:

can print_time_hours and print_time_minutes consist of 2 digits?

You have a good point there, but I worry that people will be asking for 3 digit for the hours (for multiple-day prints), and I don't know where that particular rabithole will end.

As a rule of thumb, I want all filenames to still be as short as possible.

24h60m is an accepted standard... you can just do two minimal digits (so 1023hrs will be 1023 hrs, but 9hrs will be 09hrs)

Or you could also create a new variable {print_time_minutes_2digits}

You can do {print_time_hours}h{print_time_minutes}m to get that. I'll consider padding them with 0 to always get (at least) 2 digits.

Nice plugin! This will be handy for recalling which type of material and nozzle size I sliced a given model for, when I go to print another one weeks or months later.

Would it be possible to add "Printing Temperature" as a parameter? This would be very helpful, as that setting will most quickly remind me what material type (PLA, PLA+, PETG) etc. to use for a given model. I could adjust the material type, but I usually don't bother and prefer just to change the temperature directly for a given material since I don't like the way Cura asks to reset a bunch of my settings when I change materials.

Nice and very helpful plugin.

I want to know if there is a chance to get a material length feature in the naming? I think it is important for people without a filament sensor (like me), so we can have a rough estimation of material length needed in the spool (especially when you got low volume left in the spool).

Hello. I came to drop some features requests.

I would like to click on the prefix text, and be able to edit it as I was able to do as before intalling this plugin. Because often I want some things diferent for a specific file, and later still have the auto prefix and postfix.

If this is implemented, maybe you could add a check box for "allow manual edits" and clicking on the prefix would not take us to the config screen any longer,  and allow the editon of the prefix for each file, as before intalling the Plugin

as a second feature request.  

I would like to have the Hour replacement pattern to appear only if the hour is more than zero.

This would not be necesary if the first feature request is implemented, because I could click and delete a couple of letters

I want to state that I add an "h" to the hour patern and "m" to the minute patern in the postfix config.  The reason for this is for distinguish one from the other, and must not be "hs" or "min" or other longer than a letter, because the printers screens have limited space, but I still want to know the time, in the file name.

It's a really nice plugin, I hope it improves.

cheers!

Edited by locob

Hello,

I tried putting in tilde symbol ~ but its not there and I need it for special formating what I later use somewhere else. Would it be possible to change font so this symbol is there ? or any other workaround ? Otherwise its perfect plugin. 

Having a tilde in the filename is a bad idea. It will likely break stuff if you ever get that file onto a non-windows platform.

Was looking up and down in Cura today for this, then reverted to forum and found this.

Tried and works perfectly 👍

Thanks for your effort, appreciated

How can one get this? I doesn't show up in Cura's marketplace.

Are you using Cura 5? In that case, see this post, which contains a prerelease of this plugin:

I just found a "Printjob Naming" plugin by you without the "Custom" in the name. Is that it? Doesn't seem to add any additional settings, though(?)

Sorry with the dumb questions and all

EDIT: OK, I'm dumb. It's under the Extensions menu, not in Cura's settings dialog or anywhere near the printer settings ...

Edited by jens
    additional info

The plugin has changed name to just "Printjob naming".

See Extensions -> Custom Printjob Naming -> Set name options

Where can I learn about how to configure the placeholders used by the plugin (the ones not found in Cura settings, e.g. each printers short name)?

Thanks a lot for your patience :)

7 hours ago, jens said:

Where can I learn about

Either by trying, or by asking specific questions.

The interface shows all the placeholders it supports.

I LOVE this plugin but it does not seem to work in the 5.0 Beta, I hope you will continue to support this going forward as I would love to use this in 5.0.  

See this post, which has a link to a prerelease version of this plugin too:

Edited by ahoeben