Printjob Naming plugin

ahoeben

Posted (edited) · Printjob Naming plugin

I'm working on a small plugin that will let you configure custom printjob prefixes. A test-version can be downloaded here:

Cura 3.5-3.6:http://files.fieldofview.com/cura/CustomJobPrefix-v5.0.0-2019-10-08T11_42_39Z.curapackage

Cura 4.0-4.3:http://files.fieldofview.com/cura/CustomJobPrefix-v6.0.0-2019-10-08T11_42_39Z.curapackage

To install, download the file, drop it into a Cura application window and restart Cura.

The custom prefixes are set per printer via Extensions -> Custom Printjob Prefix -> Set prefix. For now there are a couple of replacement patterns you can use in the prefix:

{printer_name}, {printer_type}, {material_type}, {layer_height}, {machine_nozzle_size}

{printer_type} is the current default (ie: "CFFFP" for any printer that was added as a Custom FFF Printer)

{printer_name} similarly derives from the name you gave your printer, but you can also enter any other text if you wish.

I am open to suggestions for other replacement patterns (and to reports of the plugin working or not).

Update: There is now an updated version of this plugin available through the Marketplace, for all versions of Cura from 3.5 through 4.4.

Update: The name of the plugin was changed to reflect that it now supports postfixes and a path as well as just a prefix.

Edited by ahoeben
clarification
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted · Printjob Naming plugin

Those are a bit more tricky than settings and printer metadata, because they are only available after slicing.

Also good to know is that the plugin can only do prefixes, not postfixes.

Here's an updated version that supports more replacement patterns:

Cura 3.5-3.6: http://files.fieldofview.com/cura/CustomJobPrefix-v5.0.0-2019-10-10T14_23_56Z.curapackage

Cura 4.0-4.3: http://files.fieldofview.com/cura/CustomJobPrefix-v6.0.0-2019-10-10T14_23_56Z.curapackage

{printer_name}, {printer_type}, {layer_height}, {machine_nozzle_size},
    {material_type}, {material_weight}, {print_time_hours}, {print_time_minutes},
    {date_year}, {date_month}, {date_day}, {time_hour}, {time_minutes}

• Like 3

one request, on  some of my printers, like my home made GO, I use "line width" to set the nozzle size, so I would like to use {line width}  in stead of  {machine_nozzle_size} 

would be much appreciated if you could add it...

Edited by ultiarjan

And another thing, when using settings like the line width in the name, it would also need to update (or manually be updatable) when a change is made. This would be good to have anyhow as f.e. when you change printer model after you loaded a file, the naming will not update.

3 hours ago, ultiarjan said:

it would also need to update (...) when a change is made

All replacement patterns are reevaluated on an update. I don't want to update it too often, because updating eg on every setting change may slow things down. I'll come up with a solution.

The replacement patterns (all of them) are also updated when a slice is done, so the gcode file you save/print will already have the properly updated prefix.

3 hours ago, ultiarjan said:

when you change printer model after you loaded a file, the naming will not update

Yes it will.

• Like 1

It seems there is a problem with the material_weight, it is always 0 also after slicing. 

print_time_* works fine.

But it happens only on a dual extruder printer, UM2 works fine.

There is now an updated version of this plugin available through the Marketplace, for all versions of Cura from 3.5 through 4.4.

• Like 2

Hi,

maybe it is a stupid question, but I do not know what the plgin is desired for?

I just set {print_time_hours} for testing.

On saving to gcode file ... no autmatic prefix is set.

On sending directely to printer ... no prefix.

Is there a kind of howto available?

Merry XMAS

Cappy

@cappy0815, I think you have the "Add machine prefix to job name" in the General preferences unchecked; if so, the prefix will not be added. Thanks for the feedback, I will add a note about that in the dialog (and an option to set this preference) in a future version.

• Thanks 1

Oh great,

that's right ... now I checked this option.

It is working well now ... great plugin

I have two sughestions for improvement.

1. On hitting "ENTER" the changes will not be aplied.

2. I need the object name at the beginning of the file name ... not at the end, otherweise it is not possible to find it in a long list of files.

cappy

Hi all,

are there any comments to my suggestions?

I like the plugin, but there is some space for improvements :-)

Cappy

Hi @cappy0815, sometimes when I don't reply immediately to a post I see, I forget about it because the post is marked as read. Thanks for the reminder.

I'll fix the "enter" bug you found in the next release of the plugin. Good catch!

Cura only has a prefix for jobnames. The plugin extends the functionality of that prefix. Adding a postfix complicates things. For example it would become harder to support the user editing the jobname and then updating the prefix and postfix automatically while keeping the "middle" unchanged. Ideally this would be fixed in the interface (making the automatically created prefix and postfix uneditable), but that would mean changing that part of the interface. Changing that part of the interface is only possible in a way that makes the plugin much harder to keep up to date between versions of Cura. Since I have many plugins to maintain and a finite amount of time, I would prefer to keep this plugin simple.

• Like 1

As usual, super  @ahoeben. I whish you an happy new year with all my thanks for your wonderful Cura input.

May be also the material_display_name  because some parameters  inside the profil are specific to each filament even if they are all PLA ( ie T°, speed, ... ) .

Wouldn't the gcode file become idiotically long with a full material name in there?

so fast ! tks.

not really :

here below : PLA - EVO  or PLA - HR870  instead of PLA or PLA

n.b. the temperature of the first is 206°c while the second is 215°c

EVO.jpg

HR870.jpg

Edited by OUPS65

I'll consider it for a future version.

Am hoping to use this plugin. Have installed and loaded {machine_nozzle_size} into Cura 4.4.1 and then loaded a STL file. The program immediately crashes. If I delete the {machine_nozzle_size} presence there is no problem but then I don't have the feature.

In addition to nozzle size was also hoping to have a filament diameter listed. There are some printers that can print multiple filament diameters would be great to auto identify in file name.

@Scotty-G, could you post a link to your cura.log file (Help -> Show configuration folder, cura.log is in the folder that opens)?

For your printer that supports multiple filament diameters, I would set up two different printers in Cura, one for each filament diameter. Then you can just add a different static text to your custom prefix for each printer/material diameter if you want.

I've attached a copy of the log file.

The Lulzbot Taz is able to handle multiple size filament diameters and I have created different profiles as different printers for each. Once I am able get the plugin to work, how do we add static text?

cura.log

What printer definition do you use for your Lulzbot Taz? It is not a printer that ships with Ultimaker Cura. The reason I ask is that while your logs pointed me to what is going wrong, it is strange that it is not going wrong for the printers that do ship with Ultimaker Cura. I'll make future versions robust against this issue, but there may be an issue with the printer definition you use.

About static text: You can type any text instead of {machine_nozzle_size} or other replacement patterns.

I've attached a PDF of the JSON file I created, leveraging from Lulzbot 's Cura for Taz and the lulzbot_taz5.stl bed I downloaded. I put these into the Cura resources folders (definitions and meshes), restarted Cura and selected a new printer from the non-network list under Lulzbot. Then I went into printer set up to verify/correct any info - mostly nozzle which is 0.5mm and filament diameter. Created 3 profiles - 1.75, 2.85 and 3.00.

I did have to create my own print profiles based upon Lulzbot's profiles and have those as well.

lulzbot_taz5.def.json.pdf lulzbot_taz5.stl