OctoPrint connection error

plexiglass

Posted (edited) · OctoPrint connection error

Hi folks,

I have Ultimaker Extended 3 and I want to control my printer with Raspberry Pi 4B. I downloaded OctoPi 0.17.0.

I managed to reach interface of OctoPrint but somehow my printer doesn't connect with OctoPrint. When I've tried to manually connection, I'm taking that kind of error. Do you have anybody that can help me?

Connecting to: dev/ttyAMA0Changing monitoring state from "Offline" to "Opening serial port"Connected to: Serial<id=0xad1e9cb0, open=True>(port='dev/ttyAMA0', baudrate=115200, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=10.0, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitorStarting baud rate detection...Changing monitoring state from "Opening serial port" to "Detecting baudrate"Trying baudrate: 115200Could not write anything to the serial port in 5 tries, something appears to be wrong with the printer communicationChanging monitoring state from "Detecting baudrate" to "Offline (Error: Could not write to serial port)"Connection closed, closing down monitor Closing down send loop

pi@octopi:~ $ lsusb
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I've tried to give authorisation with 

sudo usermod -a -G dialout pi 

sudo chmod a+rw /dev/ttyACM0

I'm pretty sure my printer's port is ttyACM0 because there is nothing like ttyUSB when I'm searching.

This is my last 20 line of dmesg

[    8.463464] random: crng init done
[    8.463480] random: 7 urandom warning(s) missed due to ratelimiting
[    8.552758] 8021q: 802.1Q VLAN Support v1.8
[    8.665587] Adding 102396k swap on /var/swap.  Priority:-2 extents:1 across:102396k SSFS
[    8.846692] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): resizing filesystem from 591872 to 7747584 blocks
[    8.910700] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
[    8.910709] brcmfmac: power management disabled
[    9.491759] bcmgenet fd580000.genet: configuring instance for external RGMII (no delay)
[    9.492063] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
[   10.551591] bcmgenet fd580000.genet eth0: Link is Down
[   12.631622] bcmgenet fd580000.genet eth0: Link is Up - 100Mbps/Full - flow control rx/tx
[   12.631645] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
[   14.800289] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready
[   15.680957] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.22
[   15.680997] NET: Registered protocol family 31
[   15.681001] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
[   15.681017] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
[   15.681023] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
[   15.681043] Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
[   16.226081] Bluetooth: HCI UART driver ver 2.3
[   16.226088] Bluetooth: HCI UART protocol H4 registered
[   16.226133] Bluetooth: HCI UART protocol Three-wire (H5) registered
[   16.226246] Bluetooth: HCI UART protocol Broadcom registered
[   19.557998] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): resized to 3145728 blocks
[   20.023357] Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation) ver 1.3
[   20.023382] Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol multicast
[   20.023439] Bluetooth: BNEP socket layer initialized
[   30.382507] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): resized to 6291456 blocks
[   35.400027] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): resized filesystem to 7747584

Edited by plexiglass

Posted · OctoPrint connection error

I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but the Ultimaker 3 series is not compatible with USB slave printing (and thus Octoprint). You can connect your UM3 (extended) via the direct networking or cloud features of Cura and UM firmware.

@ctbeke I'm trying to do ''time lapse effect'' video but when I try to connect OctoPi I got error.  So if Ultimaker 3 series does not support USB slave relationship. How can I do time lapse effect video? Is that mean I've bought Raspberry Pi for nothing ?

image.png

Can you upload a picture of how you're connecting your UM3 to the Raspberry Pi? The USB port in the front is for USB thumbdrives only (for offline printing), and there's no USB slave port on the back like the UM2(+) had.

Yes, I understand. So this is why the connection like in the photo is not working. I want to that kind of video. Making that kind of effect means I have to synchronise webcam and the printer.

How can I do that without OctoPi, is there any idea that you have?

20191018_144905.jpg

It seems that UM3 support for Octoprint is still an outstanding issue (e.g.https://github.com/foosel/OctoPrint/issues/2288). The UM3 firmware does not support features like timelapse out of the box, so you'd have to use the webcam http endpoint and manually construct something.

Oh my God this is like primitive lol.

It's very wise to make a $ 5,000 3D printer and forgot to put a remote control option. Congrats Ultimaker !

No need to make passive agressive comments, let's keep it civil here.

The UM3 has plenty of remote printing options (Ultimaker Connect, Ultimaker Cloud, it even has a completely open API for local networking interaction). It's just not Octoprint compatible as Octoprint is someone else's open source project that relies on a printer being connectable with USB slave functionality (which actually is quite a bad way of controlling a 3D printer because USB has plenty of stability issues). Now someone could easily go ahead and write an Octoprint plugin that connects to the UM3 over the network and add support for it that way, but apparently as no one has done that yet the other options that Ultimaker gives are satisfactory.

I'm sorry I'm little bit exhausted of that problem. Cloud, connect etc doesn't fit for what I need.

Maybe you could leverage the Octoprint open source community to add support for the UM3? They seem to be quite active over on GitHub.

Thanks, I will go for it.

Do not get your hopes up, even if there is an open issue for it. The UM3, S5 and S3 are not designed to be used with an external print-host. They have a print-host built in that basically replaces OctoPrint, but is not open source so there will not likely be any plugins that add to or change its functionality.

The API exposed by the print host of the UM3/S5/S3 does not support sending gcode commands to the printer on at a time, nor does it expose the feedback from the printer on each processed gcode command while printing. OctoPrint needs that.

In theory, you modify the electronics to connect a board like the raspberry pi directly to the "motion controller" that is in the UM3/S5/S3 (bypassing the Olimex linux board that is in the printer). But then it would no longer work with Cura Connect, and you would have to reimplement a lot to get dual extrusion, material detection, bedleveling etc working again. In reality, it is just not possible.

Posted (edited) · OctoPrint connection error

I will try with manual G codes then. I can't see any other option right now.

Edited by plexiglass

Is there any new model that supports this feature after the Ultimaker 2 series? 

You can certainly get a fancy timelapse with the UM3 in other ways.  You could have the head move to the corner of the printer at the completion of each layer and hit some kind of switch that triggers your camera.

Even though I'm a software engineer who has studied the UM3 firmware, I think that would be the easier route (a hardware solution).

Thanks a lot, I'm not a coder and I'm not familiar with G code. But I will watch some YouTube videos and try. I will send the scripts if I will success.