UM3 doesnt load non-Cura gcode from USB stick

rhoogenboom

Posted · UM3 doesnt load non-Cura gcode from USB stick

Hi,

I think I stuck some kind of bug in loading gcode and printing from USB. When I try to print from USB and the gcode is generated by Simplify3D, the screen shows the name on the screen. It cannot show any details (just shows ‘loading’. When I select it to print. The screen jumps back to main and then back to the usb file view. And that is it. 

When I select a cura generated (compressed) gcode gz file, it starts to print. 

When I select an old gcode file which I am sure I printed in the past, same is happening, it does not work. 

Is this a bug introduced when we started using that compressed gcode stuff?

Is anybody experiencing this too?

Is anybody aware of this?  

Gcode attached, one prints and one does not from USB. 

I tried the latest firmware but already at latest stable. 

Another pointer: This might have started around the introduction of Cura connect. Pretty sure I tried to load the gcode into Cura and then sending it off. That doesnt work either for gcode generated by anything else than Cura. 

Files will be attached shortly. Need my laptop for that. 

I cannot find the edit button of the post, so here are the files,.... There is one which will print from USB, the others just don't, neither can you send them to the cura connect queue via Cura.

If anyone can shed some light on this, much appreciated as it is darn annoying not able to print with an UM3 and a USB stick with generated models,...

Cheers,

Richard

Velg - original - v3.gcode Bottom Pad-v3-1x-0.4-L.gcode flat hoekstuk - v4.gcode Raincap-v2.gcode

The answer depends on how exact do you want to know it.... 😏

The simple way is: compare the header (first few lines of the file) of the "good" file with the non-working ones.... and you will probably see what is missing. At least the material-id is mandatory AFAIK.

If you want to explore more details: save the log files of the printer to the USB stick. You'll find the exact error messages in there.

;START_OF_HEADER
    ;HEADER_VERSION:0.1
    ;FLAVOR:Griffin
    ;GENERATOR.NAME:Cura_SteamEngine
    ;GENERATOR.VERSION:2.6.2
    ;GENERATOR.BUILD_DATE:2017-07-06
    ;TARGET_MACHINE.NAME:Ultimaker 3
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.INITIAL_TEMPERATURE:220
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.MATERIAL.VOLUME_USED:13228
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.MATERIAL.GUID:938757ed-22ac-4311-ba0e-678005a7042d

;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.NOZZLE.NAME:AA 0.4
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.NOZZLE.DIAMETER:0.4

;BUILD_PLATE.INITIAL_TEMPERATURE:60
    ;PRINT.TIME:17552
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MIN.X:9
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MIN.Y:6
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MIN.Z:0.27
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MAX.X:174.577
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MAX.Y:134.979
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MAX.Z:13.97
    ;END_OF_HEADER

1 hour ago, tinkergnome said:

The answer depends on how exact do you want to know it.... 😏

The simple way is: compare the header (first few lines of the file) of the "good" file with the non-working ones.... and you will probably see what is missing. At least the material-id is mandatory AFAIK.

If you want to explore more details: save the log files of the printer to the USB stick. You'll find the exact error messages in there.

Yes, that's probably the way,..  😞 

Not the easiest way though, I will try if the .gz might be it. That would be a quick fix.

Just out curiosity, did you try any of files. Just wondering if it is firmware related. Hope I can just downgrade to something old and get this to work. 

The darn machine should just open gcode without me having the edit a file,...   

I'll try to dump the logs too, that's a good idea, maybe I can see it bail out for some reason, although again, that is in the printer firmware as these file did print previously from USB on this printer,...

thanks!

11 hours ago, rhoogenboom said:

Just wondering if it is firmware related.

Sure it is.

I'm sure that MATERIAL.GUID was added for cura connect, but there may be more.

The firmware checks are the same, no matter if the file is compressed or not. You can compress S3D-files with gzip as well, there's no difference in how those are handled.

I remember that i had to add missing lines to the post-processing script in Simplify3D from time to time.

If you compare the header with a file that is generated by the most recent Cura version, you'll see very quick what is missing.

And if you (re-) download the printer definition in S3D (with the configuration wizard), you'll see that there's a lot more stuff in the recent one than in the legacy version (yes - they obviously do update this stuff from time to time...).

If you still have the factory files, rebuilding the gcode should be a matter of seconds. If you really have a need to re-use gcode files from years ago, i would indeed manually add the missing informations to the header.
    It's probably no benefit to stuck with old (and potentially buggy) firmware. But it's your choice of course... 🙂