Kodak Nylon 12 Results

Oliveros

Posted · Kodak Nylon 12 Results

Well, I got my roll of natural Kodak Nylon 12 today and my oh my it is such a breeze to print with, it sticks to the bed really well, seems really strong and the prints come out very smooth.

Just installed 1 part on my commercial dishwasher and it is for sure less flexible than it's little brother (Nylon 6) when hot and wet so I'll have to modify the part a little (going on, about 20 different versions now, lol) to make it easier to install but otherwise it looks promising.

The Natural color of the nylon is transparent or whatever the word is for not very see through, but a little. 

I like the way it prints, looks and feels and it's printing at 235*C which is recommended with a bed temp of 40*C-110*C and fan speed of 50% very little warping and again, just easy to print with so far. Got 4 parts printing for a 12 hour print so we'll see how it goes but I wanted to let you guys know, I like this material so far.

With a heat deflection of 120*C and rated food safe (Per an email directly from Kodak) in it's natural color I'm happy so far.

Dimensional stability, what exactly are you referring to? If it expands and contracts? if so, not very much. 

When printing it will warp slightly, at least on my printer which is a Monoprice ultimate 2, I'm sure if you turned off the fan and kept the bed at 110*C it probably wouldn't warp but I'm not too worried about a little bit of warping. 

It's not a lot, it's slight.

When it gets wet and hot it will flex a little, when it's cold and dry it is very rigid.

Printed a bolt and a nut with nylon 12, makes the threads really well defined, very impressed.

Interesting. And how is layer adhesion? Can you pull layers apart, or is it melted into one solid block?

PS: I think the word for half-transparent is "translucent": when some light is still shining through, but it's not water-clear. Like the model below (this is colorFabb PLA/PHA, "natural"), which looks like uncooked spaghetti.

DSCN5727b.jpg.8aeeef6796d24bf7adbbdaa5eb24f52a.jpg

Layer adhesion seems to be really good, I think putting it in the machine and letting it run through those heat cycles will reveal any problems with delamination but so far it seems good. Luckily because the material prints at such a low temp (240*C) I still have room to make it even hotter if needed. 

I don't think it's quite a solid block, I would like to make it into one but I'm running 0.3 layer height so I think it would be difficult to get that.

I think you are right on the wording.

This nylon warps like it's no one's bussiness. 

I'm trying to print something with a bit of a surface area, about 90 MM across and 15 MM tall, it keeps warping off the bed, with bed heat of 110*C, straight glass, blue tape, glue on either one, no heat. 

Trying to figure it out right now.

I haven’t used that brand, but I’ve found with Ultimaker Nylon that I have to use glue and a brim for long pieces.

4 hours ago, Oliveros said:

This nylon warps like it's no one's bussiness. 

I'm trying to print something with a bit of a surface area, about 90 MM across and 15 MM tall, it keeps warping off the bed, with bed heat of 110*C, straight glass, blue tape, glue on either one, no heat. 

Trying to figure it out right now.

I never used Nylon myself but I have read on some posts here and on other webpages that it is very prone to warp. On thing that seem's to help is to print in an enclosure to reduce aire flow and have a more constant temperature.

If you have an open frame printer try printing with a big box covering the whole printer. (not very high engineering but if it works you can try to find a better enclosure after.)

I have a fully enclosed printer and turning the bed heat and fan off did the trick.

so now I know.