New Slicing Strategy - Shifting Layers for Higher Density!

mrzgraphix2

Posted · New Slicing Strategy - Shifting Layers for Higher Density!

Hello everyone,

I am kind of a new member to your forum. As I was discovering the different rooms and reading some interesting threads and interactions in here, I thought to my self why not write a post about something that I have been struggling with lately. It is not really a specific issue but rather a slicing strategy I would like to achieve but I still do not know exactly how. In short, as opposed to the classical identical slicing from one layer to the next, I would like to slightly shift the deposited lines from one layer to the next as explained in the attached file (case 2). For context, this fits into a project I am working on it lately which deals with achieving high-density 3D-prints at high temperatures. One can imagine that by slightly shifting the layers the interlayer gaps could be efficiently filled via this alternative strategy.

I am very excited to hear your opinions and pieces of advice smile.png

Thank you so much ahead!!

Regards,
Reda

Slicing strategies.png

The typical slicing strategy is to alternate directions so the layers cross at 90 degree angles on alternating layers. Only the wall lines print atop each other, and trying to offset those would cause a rough outer surface.

Thank you Johnse for your feedback. Yes you are totally right, such a slicing strategy would reduce the surface quality however it would probably lead to even denser parts which is the property I am more interested in within the scope of this project. In fact, I am trying to get the highest density possible with the least inter-line and inter-layer air gaps which promotes a higher optical transmission...

Regards,

Reda

If you print slow and with thin layers, so that it flows well into all corners, then density is already quite high with the current 90° alternating strategy. For example with 0.4mm nozzle at 0.06mm layers. I don't think density can be improved very much. However, at high speeds and thick layers, there are a lot more voids.

See the test blocks below of 10mm x 10mm x 20mm. The front one is as printed, the back one is polished to remove some of the outer layer lines and show the inside. The clearness indicates that there are not too much voids inside. This is transparent PET.

DSCN6030.thumb.JPG.f93ffaf6e088256f0edc14d094656a3b.JPG

block_geert_1b.thumb.jpg.7fad8a5326c68526dcc30ccb58666dd9.jpg

Multiple test blocks together: layer heights from left to right (mm): 0.4; 0.3; 0.2; 0.1; 0.06 (nozzle 0.4mm). Top row printed at 50mm/s; bottom row 10mm/s. So, thin layers and slow speeds give very high density. But you need to print at the lower end of the temp-range, otherwise the material starts to get brown and decompose due to sitting in the nozzle for too long.

DSCN6016.thumb.JPG.34c84f7029de80f9e26ea5e3e778fe0a.JPG