How to get solid parts, no fill

rock500

Posted · How to get solid parts, no fill

I have only been using Netfabb for the last three days but really happy with it, but one of the main things i cannot work out is how to make a part so it is from solid material so no filling, even setting fill spacing to 0mm it still has filling rather than solid material.

Its quite important to me, as some of the parts i make i need the strength of a solid part.

Also is it possible to adjust the wall thickness, it would great to have a 1.5 or 2mm wall thickness, this

could be a work around if i have to fill parts.

Jonathan

I have only been using Netfabb for the last three days but really happy with it, but one of the main things i cannot work out is how to make a part so it is from solid material so no filling, even setting fill spacing to 0mm it still has filling rather than solid material.

Its quite important to me, as some of the parts i make i need the strength of a solid part.

Also is it possible to adjust the wall thickness, it would great to have a 1.5 or 2mm wall thickness, this

could be a work around if i have to fill parts.

Jonathan

You can set additional shells (walls) in the in the build style, under manage build styles

You can sele t thicker extrusions for the infill, but you won't get much thicker than 0.5 or 0.6mm with your 0.4mm nozzle... So in theory, 0.5mm spacing with a 0.5mm extrusion should get you something solid.

In terms is mechanical stability, I found 3 shells and 40% infill absolutely sufficient (see my Moab 360 project)... More solid infill will only increase the warping of your object while printing.

Thanks for the info Joergen, i will have a look tonight when i get home.

I also noticed when using the high quaility profiles that the top and bottom layer of

the part is wafer thin, if this was the same thickness as the walls it would be

idea, i guess this might be something i can change in build style.

At the moment i have not to much of a problem with warping, so i would be happy to

test thicker walls etc.

Could you give me a link to your Moab360 project ?, i would be very interested in seeing the

profiles in netfab you are using.

Jonathan

I also noticed when using the high quaility profiles that the top and bottom layer of the part is wafer thin, if this was the same thickness as the walls it would be

idea, i guess this might be something i can change in build style. Could you give me a link to your Moab360 project ?, i would be very interested in seeing the profiles in netfab you are using.

you are correct... the top/bottom layers are a similar setting to the walls section.

what you are using to slice (netfabb, skeinpypy, slic3r, skeinforge etc) is a matter of taste/setting/profile and can change by the week, depending on new features introduced.

The moab 360 was sliced in skeinforge41, and that profile is long gone by now... but the principle (amount of walls/infill/top/bottom) is the same, no matter what slicer is used.

here are the links:

http://newyorkpanorama.com/2011/09/21/g ... ia-studio/

http://www.xperiastudio.com/

(scroll down, there are 5 youtube movies about my part of the project)

I am using Netfabb to do the slicing, and i am happy with it i just need to tweak it for the parts i make.

Will have a look at the links in a mo :D

I have had a look of the build styles in Netfabb and made a duplicate of 2A High Quality - Filled object, which i seem to use the most.

But i cannot find any references to shells (walls) in any of the tabs or thicker extrusions for infill. Would it be contour type which is in the general build

style settings ?.

I wish there was detailed info for all these settings, for those that like to tweak :)

"Countour count" corresponds to "Shells" and you can find that on the first dialog that pops up as you start editing a style.

Also, what happens exactly when you set fill spacing to 0.0mm? You say that you get "filling rather than solid material". Do you mean that there are still large spaces between the lines? How about on the up- and downskins? Are there gaps there as well?

"Countour count" corresponds to "Shells" and you can find that on the first dialog that pops up as you start editing a style.

Also, what happens exactly when you set fill spacing to 0.0mm? You say that you get "filling rather than solid material". Do you mean that there are still large spaces between the lines? How about on the up- and downskins? Are there gaps there as well?

Thanks for that, found countour count and will have a play with that.

When i set fill spacing to 0.0mm i still get the hatching (filling) rather than solid layers which you get on the top and bottom layers.

I am not sure what up and downskins are, i am still pretty new to all this :D if its the top and bottom layer maybe, then these layers are

solid, but the top layer is thicker than the bottom layer, would be nice to have them the same thickness.

Jonathan

When i set fill spacing to 0.0mm i still get the hatching (filling) rather than solid layers which you get on the top and bottom layers.

I am not sure what up and downskins are, i am still pretty new to all this :D if its the top and bottom layer maybe, then these layers are

solid, but the top layer is thicker than the bottom layer, would be nice to have them the same thickness.

Jonathan

Hi

If you have calibrated correctly the cross hatching will almost totally fill but could be made to fill totally by turning it up more in the rpm setting in Netfabb, but if you go over than you get a bad print.

Downskins = bottom layers, Topskins = top layers also adjustable when editing a style.