Ultimaker S5 troubles

waldo

Posted · Ultimaker S5 troubles

Hi, 

I have problems with my Ultimaker S5 - or so I think ;-).

First of all, this still isn't off the table:

In fact, anything on .2 layerheight comes out really bad - or I print it slow (max 35mm/s) - in that case, it's "just" bad:

I guess it's called "layer inconsistencies" .. and I have NO idea on how to fix it!  Only (lower) speed and (lower) layer height seems to work.
image.png.038c8f01525c22c482a09eedc92267a1.png

On top of that, the UMS5 is giving me headaches about ghosting:

image.png.31beedb70d89ac073f6b379e037bb2dd.png

"jerk" and "acceleration" both didn't have any effect!

Any tips in the right directions would be greatly appreciated!

The magic key for good results is speed, low speed < 35mm/sec

And it is also very important that you equalize the speeds to the same value. So outer, inner walls, infill,.... should be the same. And jerk speeds too.

Install the new Cura 4.4 with the Intent profiles and you will see that there are now profiles which follow exactly these rules.

• Like 1

Hi Smithy, I read that somewhere - and I'm yet to test it.  Now, this print was finished this morning, with speeds < 35mm/s .. .  Different jerks and acceleration though.. .  I can't be happy with them .. at all.

I'll try 4.4 and the new profiles!

image.thumb.png.b4832f08b292812b8eac7a1c27492bdc.png

image.thumb.png.fe30817737f65cb6629ca3389f7249d4.png

image.thumb.png.5056ccdf09a099e3bb9af286ae61d592.png

Settings:

.15 height

35mm/s (lower for inner and outer wall)

It's a brand new machine - and I tried the manual up-down thing (when printer is off) to feel if anything is in the way .. but it feels very smooth. 

I didn't clean it with WD40 yet - since it's brand new, I'm not that into screwing with the printer, you know ;-).  But as said - it feels really smooth.. .

Should I take it apart and clean it, you think?  Or may be just with a toothbrush - would that help?

Ok, then I see no need to clean it. And if you need to clean it, then it is not needed to take it apart. Just clean it with a toothbrush and move the bed up & down. The process with the WD40 is for really dirty screws and normally not needed.

Have you also checked the x/y pulleys, are they tight and without any play? 

Check also a single layer on your print. Take a layer which "comes out" on the front and check if the same layer also comes out on the back. If not you have a small shifting and this can be the result of backlash or too much play in x/y. If it is squished all around, then it is a mix of over- and under extrusion. Some layers are over extruded and some under extruded and the result is these inconsistent finish.

So theoretically it could be the Z stage, that some layers are not exactly maybe .13 and some .17, which would explain the over and under extrusion you see. But you can only check if the the screw is clean and the rods are clean with a little bit of the oil. Do not use the green lube on the rods, just the oil and only a little bit.

I have similar results on my small UM2Go and have done everything, I even replaced the Z bearings with no change in the result. It differs from the filament color I use, white or brighter filament is more worse than darker ones. In the end I haven't found a solution for my problem on the Um2go. Some models are more worse than others and it is also independent from the slicer, because I also tried to slice with S3D with the same results.

This issue which is sometimes called inconsistent layers or z banding, is nothing new. There are a lot of users with these problem, not only Ultimaker or a specific model, nearly every printer has such problems, some more some less. And the solutions are very different. Some users solved the problem with cleaning the z screw or bearings. For others it was a problem with an oscillating temperature of the print core, which could also cause this problem. When the temperature differs +-5 °C I am sure you will see it on the surface. Others have this issue only when the heated bed is on. Without heated bed the print was fine. (UM2 series, so I don't think it is worth to try this on the S5)

A last idea, have you tried a different print core? Just the be sure it is not the core/nozzle.

To be honest when you say the printer is new, I would not tinker too much on it, but contact the reseller about the problem. When the z screw is clean, your pulleys xy are tight without play and the problem occurs independently from the print core, there is nearly nothing more you can do yourself.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5 troubles

Thanks so much for this.  

I will not tinker - I actually just scheduled that the reseller will pick up the printer and have a full checkup .. .  I hope that solves it .. .

If not, I'll go through your suggestions above .. ;-).

I would be able to test with another core, since I have 2 AA cores, and I'm mainly printing from one (the left).

Edited by waldo

The chance that it is really the print core is not so high, but easy to test.

But let's see what the reseller finds out.

Please keep us updated here when you have more information.

I will!  and thanks again!

Hej waldo.

Can you try and print your keychain from the other post with my Accuracy profile.

"if you haven't sent it off to the reseller already"

Its slow, but works pretty fairly on my S5, im off on weekend but ill take some studio photos of my print on monday then you can compare them 1:1 if you like. 

Accuracy 0.4 Nozzle v2.curaprofile

I will, thanks for the profile!

First print (on the left) I forgot to turn off the brim. that's why the text is smudge

DSC_2969.thumb.jpg.cda298ca6c2c36e673b83f72d3e868ab.jpg

DSC_2967.thumb.jpg.ff96a48bddb096d2b384208f56ab2749.jpg

Second print (the on on the right) brim is off, and "combing mode" set to "not in skin" z hop when retracted is on.  

DSC_2971.thumb.jpg.5d088dee180c27c4adc80721d060eec2.jpg

DSC_2966.thumb.jpg.2618d89b97f6632d4305ae66c3c7acf4.jpg

DSC_2977.thumb.jpg.30fa2d6f8acd2571a8e84f948b8c0dc9.jpg

I have put up the pictures unaltered, not sure if the forum allows this big fil sizes if not Ill changes them. (Edit: It doesn't, it automatic down scales it) 

Hope you can use them.

Edited by NBull

@NBull, I don't seem to be able to download that profile - can you may be zip it before attaching it?

Looks perfect - now - let me try that profile ;-).

what were your printing times?

16 hours ago, waldo said:

@NBull, I don't seem to be able to download that profile - can you may be zip it before attaching it?

Hej Waldo. Heres both a zipped and normal.

Accuracy_04_Nozzle_v2_Z-hop.curaprofile

Accuracy_04_Nozzle_v2_Z-hop.curaprofile.zip

Edit: Removed () from Curaprofile name

I don't know if this is your problem but sometimes when i download Cura projects or Curaprofiles from the forum. The file name get mixet up so it looks something like this. 

"1853372799_Accuracy04Nozzlev2_curaprofile.a6584862212dee6b33eded1a52152f48"

If you remove the part from after curaprofile and alter the "_" in from of curaprofile to "." it will work, the numbers in front of Accuracy can also be removed.  

16 hours ago, waldo said:

what were your printing times?

1 hour and 20 minutes. it's not fast, but to me it would be an acceptable time for an object at this size.

If I needed to do it faster, I would probably up the print speed from 30 to 40 and set layer height to 0.2 then it will be under and hour in print time.

Edited by NBull
    Removed () from Curaprofile name

Thanks - will give it a try!