Material runs off roll holder

Posted · Material runs off roll holder

When using a wider spool, that doesn't fit in the two grooves on the back holder. I would use an external hold like you do with the white spool. probably the best way to prevent this.

If you "need" to use the back holder I would put som type of stop (clamp) on the back holder tube so that the spool cant move away from the printer if that makes sense.

Note: When using two external holders you are better off crossing them on the back so that the spool on the left goes to the right feeder. this will help the filament sensor give more precise readings. do to the angle/direction of the filament.

NBull said just about everything that needed to be said above. I would also recommend looking into low-friction holders to help heavier spools fight against other feeding issues that could lead to grinding. Ours was 3D printed and assembled well before I started working here, but I am sure there are similar setups available for purchase online. Here is a picture of our setup (using only Print Head 1 on a UM3):

IMG_0658.jpg

Or you could design and print your own custom low-friction spool holder, for mounting on the back of the machine. My design will not fit your spools (it is for single standard spools only), but you are free to borrow and adapt the concept. It uses one standard 608 bearing (=also used for skater wheels). Design-files are in the rsdoc-format (=native DesignSpark Mechanical format), so if you have DSM you can edit them. Be sure to make it much stronger to support a large heavy spool.

I also have an anti-unwind clamp that freely slides around the edge of colorFabb spools, to prevent the filament from falling off, and to clamp it while in storage. But there do exist lots of other designs too, often incorporated into the spool holder. It won't fit you either, but you can use the idea.

See this page (and scroll down a bit) for the spool holder and clamp:

https://www.uantwerpen.be/nl/personeel/geert-keteleer/manuals/

spool_holder.jpg.0b7800b56f2507e1ab46fda58fc774d4.jpg

image.png.fb5ca13db604e4117fe60bac0007be3a.png

image.png.ee70962ea408132816287d7a063c2c38.png

anti_unwind_clamp1.jpg.60043c893e471c7cb2368b725b09f1b1.jpg

On 12/3/2019 at 3:57 PM, Crystalvalen said:

IMG_0658.jpg

Any reason you don't use the wireclamps on the bowden?

On 12/6/2019 at 4:14 AM, NBull said:

Any reason you don't use the wireclamps on the bowden?

Ah, good catch! I had taken those off to put in a new tube (was hoping it would help with a separate issue, but alas it did not) and forgot to clamp them back on when I was done. I’ll make sure I double check stuff like that before I take a picture the next time lest I confuse anyone, haha!