Invert printing on x-Axis

rigor_m

Posted · Invert printing on x-Axis

Hi,

Like said in the title, when printing a model, its always inverted on the x-axis. I have to choose the model and mirror it on the x-axis.

I noticed this when printing the z-motor and z-idler support for my Prusa i2. the "L" and "R" were reversed on the face (and the rest along the x-axis)

I'm using Cura 13.10 (now 13.11) with Prusa i2, RAMPS 1.4 and stock merlin firmware.

anyone has some pointers on what could be wrong ? :-)

Thanks

J-F

Does this also happen with other slicers? My guess would be that your firmware is configured wrongly, so that the motor is driven backwards. If you use the printer control interface in Cura, or a tool like pronterface, and step the head around, does it move in the opposite direction to the direction you click on?

both (protoface & cura in the jog tab) of the work on the same side that is the weirdess.

and when clicking home on the x-axis, the tray moves in the right direction on to the stop switch.

I have to be honess, I like cura more than protoface (dont get me wrong, the apps its self is great but I like a all in on apps better, slicing and printing) So I havent done alot of print in proto.. i guess, i'll have to try it and see if I get the same problem.

When you load the model into Cura, does the model display correctly in the 3D preview? How about when you change to the gcode view in Cura? Are they both the 'correct' orientation?

Try opening the gcode file with Repetier Host, and see if the gcode view there shows the model reversed? I'm wondering if Cura is doing something 'helpful' and mirroring the coordinates because it thinks that's how it should be??

the normal 3D preview when loading is perfect. I dont know how to switch to "gcode" view. is it with the other views ? xray and such.

I 'll have to run the tests you mention when I get back home.

i'll get back to you asap :)

Thanks for the help btw !

Yes, layer view is the bottom one of the views such as X-ray etc - it shows the gcode layers and you can use the little white slider (or up/down arrow keys) to step through the layers.

If the slicer is working correctly, it could be that the motor cable has a phase pair reversed. At one of my former employers, it was the first thing to look for when troubleshooting a reversed stepper motor. Don't know if its the case here, but it might be worth checking.

If someone wired the wires to the motor backwards you will get exactly what happened.

So...

You can either swap the wires to the correct position...

Or if you have a UM Original (not the UM2) then you can rebuild marlin here:

http://marlinbuilder.robotfuzz.com/

And reverse the checkbox for inverting x axis (uncheck it).

Hi, finally found the trouble.. one of the axis was reversed. so I installed the stop switch on the other side and inverted the motor's power and all is fine now :-)

Thanks for the help even if it wasn't on the software side ;-)

J-F