3D Printed Mold of Paper Pulp

omerselcuk

• 3 weeks later...
Posted · 3D Printed Mold of Paper Pulp

Hello everyone. 

How i made this kind of molds from "FDM" manufacturing with Cura?

What kind of slicing settings for made this kind of mold on UM2+ ?

You can find the some example file about that in the attachment.

Thank you,

Omer SELCUK

[advertisements removed by gr]

@omerselcuk - sorry but I thought your post was an advertisment.  But after reading it a few more times I think you are asking about makeing cardboard molds and want to know cura settings.

To make your cura parts porous (to let the water through in cardboard making) you want to set "Top/Bottom thickness" in cura to 0.  And experiment with the "infill density" and "infill pattern" should probably be "grid".

There's a good youtube video about this:

Posted (edited) · 3D Printed Mold of Paper Pulp
    2 hours ago, omerselcuk said:

Thank you for your reply.

But i dont want to know this kind of thinks,

i want to know like this: "Paper Pulp Molding with 3D Printed Molds"

Link is here

In this manufacturing methods, the Forming Molds (I want to manufacture this tool with UM2+) should keep paper pieces on the surface under vacuum

Edited by omerselcuk

8 hours ago, omerselcuk said:

In this manufacturing methods, the Forming Molds (I want to manufacture this tool with UM2+) should keep paper pieces on the surface under vacuum

Did you look at the "top bottom" settings I described?  Did you try them out on your mold?  You can see what the result will look like in "PREVIEW" mode in cura and you can adjust the infill pattern and density for good holes in the mold.

UM2+ should work great for this.

You will have to adjust the size of the holes in your mold.  I think you will want the "grid" pattern for infill but you can experiment and look at it in "preview" mode to see what infill pattern is best to let the vacuum through the mold.

On 1/9/2020 at 5:52 PM, gr5 said:

Did you look at the "top bottom" settings I described?  Did you try them out on your mold?  You can see what the result will look like in "PREVIEW" mode in cura and you can adjust the infill pattern and density for good holes in the mold.

UM2+ should work great for this.

You will have to adjust the size of the holes in your mold.  I think you will want the "grid" pattern for infill but you can experiment and look at it in "preview" mode to see what infill pattern is best to let the vacuum through the mold.

Thank you for your advices. I will try to this method today.  and This is my previev :

Ekran try3.JPG

On 1/15/2020 at 10:09 AM, omerselcuk said:

Thank you for your advices. I will try to this method today.  and This is my previev :

Ekran try3.JPG

Hello all.

i tryed some printing.

When i set the bottom&top thickness is 0, it is good for air flow in this area.

But i dont know about outside walls. Because the flow is not good here.

Can anybody help me for outside walls?

Thank you for all.

Ömer SELÇUK

InkedIMG_3603_LI.jpg

IMG_3602.JPG

Okay well you will need to learn 2 more things.  I didn't realize you would have steep, almost vertical, walls that you wanted air to flow through also.

First: To allow this you need to change the infill pattern because "grid" will only let the air move vertically.  Maybe try gyroid - try all the different patterns and think about which patterns will let air through horizontally as well as vertically.  Also you need to set "wall thickness" to zero to remove the outermost solid wall.

The second issue you may have is that now ALL of your mold lets air through including the lower most wall.  Which might be a problem.  To make the lower most wall solid you need to set the wall thickness back to 0.8 or 1.2mm.  So you need to have wall thickness change such that it is 0.8mm on the bottom half of the part and 0 on the top half.

Here you can see a screen shot where I have part of my print (left part) with no walls and the right side has walls.  I did this by adding a cube.  You can add a cube and size it with the scale tool and position it inside your existing part (before doing this you have to go to "preferences" "configure cura..." and uncheck "ensure models are kept apart").  Then select this cube and on the left you can see I made it mesh type: "modify settings".  Then you can add the wall and line count settings and modify the settings inside the cube portion of your part.

There are videos on youtube showing you how to do this better than I am showing you.

There are other ways to achieve this goal - you could split your part into two separate STL files - the portion with permeable walls and the portion without.  But I think this method I describe here is simpler.

Screenshot from 2020-01-20 10-58-30.png

Posted (edited) · 3D Printed Mold of Paper Pulp

And try all these things on a *small* test piece first, so you don't waste too much time and material.

First inspect in Cura layer-view if the infill pattern does what you want, less or more, and only then print a small test piece.

Maybe another option might be: 3D-print a *heavy solid* mould, ply anti-insect mesh over it, and use that mesh as mould for your paper? If you use stable steel or brass mesh, it might be strong enough?

Or something else along this line of thinking?

You might be able to use gypsym bandage too, like the ones used in hospital for broken legs? Then you could use the 3D-print as mould for the gypsum. Gypsum is porous and can let some air and water through, but maybe not enough for your application?

Edit: the advantage of gypsum and metal mesh is that you can heat them, e.g. with a heat gun, to speed up drying. You can't do that with plastic moulds.

Edited by geert_2
    added info
    • Like 1

Hello all,

Thank you for all advice for this method. 

And you can find in the attachment some ımages about result of my "3D Printed Forming Mold" (prepairing for working under vacuum)

I think, it will be more smooth. Nowadays i am thinking about that, How can i do it..

VKUG6619.JPG

11441e76-b514-4b1c-a266-27e32f55fd70.jpg

48a7b788-b8f2-4cca-901a-852fe346e806.jpg

6186d4e3-db13-4592-80ea-ece352ad9f77.jpg

Hi, I was wondering if you have made any improvements from your last design? I am trying to recreate this idea for custom packaging.