Cura 4.4.1 Create new material

DivingDuck

Posted · Cura 4.4.1 Create new material

I usually just use Ultimaker materials, but today after I installed 4.4.1, I created a new test material. Saved my project, closed Cura, opened Cura, and the new material was there.

4.4.1 seems to be functional in this regards.

Good luck

There is a bug in the current version of the Material Settings plugin that prevents creating new materials. I’ll try to release a fixed version soon.

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · Cura 4.4.1 Create new material

How to make an stl file to a gcode in cura 4.4.1 Mac?

Edited by Planokemon

When i eject the file from cura 4.4.1 it says that my sd card is using another program, how to fix

@ahoeben, thanks for this info. I deactivate this plugin and was able to create modify and delete my materials again. 🙂

11 hours ago, Planokemon said:

How to make an stl file to a gcode in cura 4.4.1 Mac?

That's what Cura is for, and we're here to help, but please don't just add your request for help to an unrelated topic. If you have a question that is not related to an existing topic, please start a new one.

Works again with the new Material Settings plugin version 3.5.3.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Hello this issue is still happening, on Cura 4.4.1 & 4.5 I just upgraded, & still unable to add materials. I’m running Cura 4.5 on High Sierra 

Had you update your plugin(s) (Material Settings plugin) too?

4 hours ago, DivingDuck said:

Had you update your plugin(s) (Material Settings plugin) too?

Yes, I have also tried your method to disable plugin, but when I do all the buttons are greyed out, when plugin is active I have Create but does nothing when clicked

Here is a screen shot of the Preference pane when Materials is Active

Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 8.16.08 AM.png

As I saw, you are printing with a Tevo Black widow. Is it possible that you are using the standard definition file?

Maybe I am wrong, but the definition file says:

"metadata": {
            "visible": true,
            "author": "TheTobby",
            "manufacturer": "Tevo",
            "file_formats": "text/x-gcode",
            "has_materials": false,
            "has_machine_quality": true,
            "platform": "tevo_blackwidow.stl",
            "preferred_quality_type": "normal",
            "machine_extruder_trains":

Shouldn't this be "has_materials": true ?

# Whether your machine has the possibility to choose different material profiles. # If this is set to "true", you will see the materials selection menu in Cura for your machine. "has_materials": true,

You maybe on to something, how do I find & edit that file? I'll check that & let you know

Hi Diving Duck you are correct, I modified that entry & now I can select & modify materials, Thanks! 

Edited by Crisis
    not needed

You are welcome, I'm happy to help.

Its been a while since I've 3d printed, alot has changed & I have forgotten alot, but I plan to brushup asap.

I see there is a lot of changes in Cura, can you point me to the best resource to re-learn the basics?

"The best" is always a personal choice and mostly out of date 🙂

Maybe the setting guide plugin in Cura is a good starting point. 

I fond the ebook "3D Printing Failures" from Sean Aranda (aka The print general) as a helpful book of reference when it comes to print failures.

Ok thanks will try that out, I have question about fan speed, I cant seem to go from 0 on the initial layer upto 100% on layer 10 for ex. cura always ramps up the fan speed from layer 1 upto layer 10 then goes to 100%.

I used to like Perusa Slic3r but I find the new ver. to be very buggy

Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 3.55.44 PM.png

Edited by Crisis
    added screen shot

Hi I think that I'm having the same issue. I have just installed Cura 4.5.0 and when I try to access the materials there is only Unknown. If I add a different printer I can access the materials.

I have looked for a definitions file but I'm unable to open the only one I could find which was in the resources/definitions folder.

Any help would be appreciated.

Michael

PzX-9K58.png

Yes, it seems you have the same issue. The path is c:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.5\resources\definitions\  (Windows10)

As fare as I can see, you have the same entry in file ultimaker2.def.json (ultimaker2_extended.def.json points to this file). For changing you need to open the file with administrator rights. Make a save copy of the original file.

I'm a bit concerned about this modification at that place, as this is something what needs to be updated with each update as it differ from the standard setup. I wonder why they have choose this behavior.

Anyway, you can also make a own definition file as copy and modify there the behavior you want. That is maybe the better way.

Hi Diving Duck,

I'll have a look and see if I can sort it out.

Thanks for your help.