Printing Assistance

Deagle0412

Posted (edited) · Printing Assistance

Printed for 3 days and didn't have an issue. Tried reprinting one of the same prints and now it keeps failing. Any idea as of why this may be happening? (See picture). No setting were changed. As you can see that the left points fine but as it goes right it gets thinner and fails. 

20200119_200425.jpg

Edited by Deagle0412
Added info.

Posted · Printing Assistance

Looks like a bed levelling issue. I'd suggest re-levelling it as a first step - it's good practice to do this every week or so if printing regularly.

I recommend you avoid active leveling and just do manual leveling procedure once.  Then you should "level on the fly".  If it's printing with blobs and gaps like the middle of those 4 parts then it's either underextruding due to failure of some kind or you are too far from the tape.

The top part has just a few traces - maybe 4 - in a diagonal line that clearly look too high from the tape.  Maybe you pushed down on the bed then briefly without realizing it?

If you are too close to the part it will look transparent - sort of like the right side of that top part.  Although that might also be underextrusion.

So my guess is all of your issues are explained by underextrusion but it will be much more obvious if you just push up and down on the bed gently whenever you see something you don't like and remember which way made each of those 4 parts better.

I suspect you will find there is something wrong that is causing underextrusion.  Possibly you are simply printing too fast or too cold or there is a partial clog in your core or one of a dozen other causes.  If you conclude it is underextrusion after pushing up and down on the bed during the first layer then let me know here and I'll post my list of possible causes.

The first thing to try is doing a few cold pulls (it's an option in the menu on the UM3).

I turned off active leveling and ran a print. The issues was resolved. Tried to do some cold pulls and other possible causes and everything turned out fine. So it must be a issuse with the active leveling. Thanks for the recommendation. 

The next time it is doing anything strange on the bottom layer, push the bed up or down gently to learn what the issue might be.

By the way, if you are going to use blue tape, it helps a lot to clean it with isopropyl alcohol.  Without doing this, the blue tape has a waxy surface (to keep the tape from sticking to itself I suspect).  This comes off very easily with a single tissue half soaked with IPA.

I turned off active leveling and ran a print. The issues was resolved. Tried to do some cold pulls and other possible causes and everything turned out fine. So it must be a issuse with the active leveling. Thanks for the recommendation. 

I have been using blue tape for a long time and figured out tricks for it. Easy adhesion and also ease release.