5S "Difference between detected height of both PrintCores exceeds realistic values

PhantomGnom

Posted · 5S "Difference between detected height of both PrintCores exceeds realistic values

Hi there,

this printer drives me crazy... First the issue with the active leveling, caused by the cabling of the front fan, crossing the level sensor, and after I was able to fix it with the great support from this forum just by moving the black and white cable to the outer left position, I get this new error. It is there all the time without disappearing by:

- manual leveling several times

- switching the print cores several times from AA to BB to AA AA and so on

- Following the 2 videos

- Updating the firmware to todays latest version

If he tries to raise the table to the right print core, he stops about 10mm before touching it. After that, he is using the level switch to to the same procedure with the lift print head, where he is able to touch. Sure, the result is "Difference between detected height of both PrintCores exceeds realistic values" as he does not touch the glas surface with both cores. I really don´´t know what to do else. To be honest.... 6500€ for this printer, what should run like a charm... I am very close to send this machine back... If I would have such issues with my second printer of another brand... Any ideas about this issue? 

See the video I have taken: https://www.icloud.com/photos/#0LmoSP_rUEkxmcClPQxR5tsJA

Posted · 5S "Difference between detected height of both PrintCores exceeds realistic values
    On 2/4/2020 at 10:16 PM, PhantomGnom said:

Looks like you have a static electrical charge on the build plate that saturates the sensor.

Did you made the sensor test ?

Is the printer properly grounded ?

thanks for your reply.

I went through the sensor test several times. Each time successfully. 

I did no additional grounding, just plugging it in, where it should be grounded by default, or should I?

17 minutes ago, PhantomGnom said:

I did no additional grounding, just plugging it in, where it should be grounded by default, or should I?

If your mains are properly grounded, it should be OK just plugin in your printer.

Better check it.

Remember it is a capacitive sensor who makes the bed leveling, triggered by the point where there is no more change in the electrical charge, normally when your nozzle is touching the build plate.

But if you saturate your sensor, reaching a plateau, before your nozzle actually touches the build plate, it will trigger the sensor.

The S5 setup is pretty clever as it accounts for thermal expansion (not 100%, but way much than other brands), but it is sensitive to electrostatic charge, as it uses it to measure.

It would have been the same with a standard capacitive sensor used as a probe.`

You should have your mains ground checked by a professional.

Hi I am having the same issue. 

When I try to start a print, print head 2 never actually touches the build plate and so when print head 1 tries to it says there is an unrealistic height between them. 

I have re-leveled the build plate, ran the diagnostic on the sensors and everything seems fine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aine_me said:

When I try to start a print, print head 2 never actually touches the build plate and so when print head 1 tries to it says there is an unrealistic height between them. 

Is the print core 1 touches the build plate when doing the active bed leveling ?

If not, maybe a PCB issue. The one in the printhead.

4 minutes ago, V3DPrinting said:

Is the print core 1 touches the build plate when doing the active bed leveling ?

If not, maybe a PCB issue. The one in the printhead.

It does sometimes, other times it just comes very close. 

I had run a diagnostic on the leveling sensors and it came back fine but ran  it again today and got the error 'There is interference on the capacitive sensor'. Any ideas how to fix this?

2 hours ago, aine_me said:

It does sometimes, other times it just comes very close. 

I had run a diagnostic on the leveling sensors and it came back fine but ran  it again today and got the error 'There is interference on the capacitive sensor'. Any ideas how to fix this?

Maybe you have another machine too close making EMI ?

Or it's the PCB ...

Ask @gr5, he's the expert.

On 6/15/2020 at 7:29 PM, V3DPrinting said:

Maybe you have another machine too close making EMI ?

Or it's the PCB ...

PCB looks all good and no other machines nearby. 

I did the following-

-manually leveled multiple times

-ran the leveling sensor test multiple times

-disconnected the front fan (this allowed it to run but only once)

-did a factory reset in which I ended up having to change the print heads

-seemed to work after I changed the heads but now I am having the issue that print core 2 touches the plate and then when print head 1 tries it never touches it. There is no material on the nozzle so I am pretty lost as to what to try next.

Posted (edited) · 5S "Difference between detected height of both PrintCores exceeds realistic values
    57 minutes ago, aine_me said:

PCB looks all good and no other machines nearby. 

I did the following-

-manually leveled multiple times

-ran the leveling sensor test multiple times

-disconnected the front fan (this allowed it to run but only once)

-did a factory reset in which I ended up having to change the print heads

-seemed to work after I changed the heads but now I am having the issue that print core 2 touches the plate and then when print head 1 tries it never touches it. There is no material on the nozzle so I am pretty lost as to what to try next.

Have you checked your machine is perfectly grounded ? No issues with your mains ground ?

Have you checked and calibrated the lift switch ?

Are your print cores perfectly seated when loaded into the printhead ?

If everything else is OK, PCB in the printhead might be faulty or the sensor board.

Edited by V3DPrinting

3 hours ago, V3DPrinting said:

Have you checked your machine is perfectly grounded ? No issues with your mains ground ?

Have you checked and calibrated the lift switch ?

Are your print cores perfectly seated when loaded into the printhead ?

If everything else is OK, PCB in the printhead might be faulty or the sensor board.

Machine is grounded, lift switch is working perfectly, print cores are correctly seated. Would running the leveling sensor diagnostic test show whether the PCB is functional?