Joaquin87

Cura origin setting

Posted · Cura origin setting

I'm using Cura 15.04.5 version, and when I put an STL file into the bed print, the origin is located in the upper face of the part.
So when I export the part to .gcode it only export one layer. See the picture attached for a better understanding.

So my question is, how to re-locate the origin to export the entire part to print.

Cproblem1.PNG

problem2.PNG

problem3.PNG

This version is old and unsupported now. Please update to 4.5 and see if the issue persists.

On 2/19/2020 at 11:05 AM, maht said:

This version is old and unsupported now. Please update to 4.5 and see if the issue persists.

I upgrade to the latest version but the issue persists....

Cura problem.PNG

cura 15.04.5 is an EXCELLENT version and has many advantages over the latest Cura (and vice versa).

Your problem has nothing to do with cura or the "origin".  for some reason that is all there is to the STL file.  Try opening the STL file in a different viewer such as meshlab or meshmixer.  I think you will see the same result.

If it was an origin issue then you would see the part extending BELOW the print bed as kind of a shadow.

It would do this by the way (show it below the bed) in Cura 15.X or Cura 4.X.

@Joaquin87

well.... the model is very tiny.... only 0.3mm thick

Depending on the first layer height it will be printed with only one or perhaps two layers.

It seems that your expectations are different?

2 hours ago, tinkergnome said:

@Joaquin87

well.... the model is very tiny.... only 0.3mm thick

Depending on the first layer height it will be printed with only one or perhaps two layers.

It seems that your expectations are different?

That's the problem because the model has 3mm thick, not 0,3mm. So maybe the problem is when I export to STL. I use Inventor for design by the way.

Your model is also about 5mm across.  Is it supposed to be 5cm?  Maybe all your dimensions are off by exactly 10X?

STL files have no dimensions.  The standard in 3d printing is that everything be in mm but some CAD expoert in cm or inches.

14 hours ago, Joaquin87 said:

That's the problem because the model has 3mm thick, not 0,3mm. So maybe the problem is when I export to STL. I use Inventor for design by the way.

If there are no options for the export units in your CAD software, just use the scale function in Cura.

Cura 4.x shows the size in the lower left corner, so first scale the model to the expected dimensions and you're good to go.

grafik.png.aadafe68cb6bb60d27356dfb07cce1b8.png

4 hours ago, tinkergnome said:

If there are no options for the export units in your CAD software, just use the scale function in Cura.

Cura 4.x shows the size in the lower left corner, so first scale the model to the expected dimensions and you're good to go.

grafik.png.aadafe68cb6bb60d27356dfb07cce1b8.png

Problem solved! thanks

• Like 1