How to remove PVA from printed objects

Frenzel

Posted · How to remove PVA from printed objects

Some objects, e.g. with an uneven bottom or overhanging structures, require the use of PVA as supporting material. It can be solved in water what usually is working.

But I now have some objects (printing material PLA) that have very small canals / tubes inside. It is a pity but the Cura slicing software will also fill these canals with PVA. After having printed the object it is now impossible to remove the PVA from within the small tubes (diameter 2mm).

1.)    Is there any way of how to enhance the solubility coefficient of the PVA?

2.)    Is there any way of how to tell the Cura slicinig software not to uses PVA INSIDE an object but only OUTSIDE (e.g. for an uneven bottom)?

Thanks a lot in advance for answering my questions

Posted (edited) · How to remove PVA from printed objects

There are differences in solubility between different brands of PVA, but more soluble also means harder to print, so probably not the best trade off.

It's better to use "support blocker" in cura to avoid support in places you do want it, don't ask me to explain how as it's not the most intuitive function of cura...

Edited by ultiarjan

When you have an Sous Vide stick or an ultrasonic bath, it helps a lot to speed up the dissolving of PVA. Personally I use a cheap sous vide stick and keep the water temperature at 35°. The flow helps to dissolve it faster.

But in very small holes it will also not help too much. For such things you should really use the support blocker as ultiarjan said.

Thanks for you answers. But I am sorry to tell you that I cannot find the "Support blocker Tool" in Cura 4.4.1 . The icon from former versions (despription in Youtube videos) on the left hand side ist NOT availabe. Do I have to activate it in some settings?

8 hours ago, Frenzel said:

Is there any way of how to tell the Cura slicinig software not to uses PVA INSIDE an object but only OUTSIDE (e.g. for an uneven bottom)?

There's a "Support Placement" setting - sounds like switching from "Everywhere" to "Touching build plate" would be the easiest solution in this case?

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/52866-support

Thanks a lot! This will most probably solve my problems!

One more thing: At first I was searching for the "Support blocker tool". A Youtube video demonstrated an old version so that I was looking for an icon that no longer exists. The lates version of Cura 4.4.1 has also Youtube videos.

I would love to have a PDF-documentation of all the nice functions. It really is hard to get started with everything.

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/52851-adjustment-tools

did you see this already? the manual on the website. not complete but a very nice start.