3DLac versus Magigoo

Posted · 3DLac versus Magigoo

It's a matter of taste, you can basically use all these things and there will be no general statement about what is better.

For PLA I use either the normal Magigoo stick or normal glue stick. For nylon Magigoo has a special stick or Dimafix, which I have had good experience with.

I have also used 3DLac, which is more like a hairspray, but it also works quite well with ABS or PETG.

Mostly I use Magigoo, because it is easier to apply.

I was talking about the special Magigoo for Nylon. I hadn't realised that they did a common-and-garden version as well.

I like 3DLac in that I find, personally, find it easier to apply than a stick. Mind you, I tend to stay away from the printer until the fumes have dispersed.

Yes, Magigoo has a lot of different products, also for PP, PC,....

I hope you take the build plate out of the printer when you apply the spray?

The rods and z-screw will get really sticky with time, so you should not do that inside the printer. 

I bought some months ago an used UM2+ printer and the previous owner also used some spray for adhesion. Everything was really sticky and I needed several hours to clean everything. It was not easy to clean the things, so be careful.

Point taken. I've been using it for a year or so without obvious issues, but I see the danger. Thanks.

I don't know which printer you have, when it is not enclosed like the UM printers, then it could be less problematic when you are careful. 

Yep always take it out to spray, in time if you don't clean your rods from time to time you will find that the print head will start to stick when moving and make your prints fail. It can also get on the sensors if your printer as a light based homing sensor and stop them working.

I never used sprays for 3D-print adhesion.

But years ago I did use a lot of silicone anti-stick sprays for moulding and casting models. I had built a special cardboard box with fume extraction at the back, to take away the spray mist. And I only sprayed deep into that box. But even then the whole area outside of that cardboard box got slippery with silicone oil too, after some time.

I have seen similar setups where people used spray paints, and there too the whole environment got colored. Even though they had fume extraction in their cardboard box, just like me!

If you are very adventurous, try using bright red paint instead of glue spray. And see where it goes. (No, don't do it.  :-)

On 3/1/2020 at 7:31 PM, Smithy said:

Yes, Magigoo has a lot of different products, also for PP, PC,....

I hope you take the build plate out of the printer when you apply the spray?

Is much easier to apply the spray to a paper towel outside and rub it on the plate. Removes the bed alignment problem

3DLac is basically Nely Strong hairspray 3€ (made by the same company under other name)

Smartmaterials smartstick works even with PP but is quite a mess to remove (but sticks to everything I have try). Bed adhesion sheets made from PE by Avery ) a4 laser printable stickers) work really nice and with windowasher you can reuse them a lot tpe, tpu, just heat the bed to 35 to remove it slowly and not break it, ofc they break after 10-15 uses and is a mess to replace and remove the glue.

That’s my 2 cents ;D