Alternating clockwise/anticlockwise movement of printing nozzle per layer

WillyJo

Posted (edited) · Alternating clockwise/anticlockwise movement of printing nozzle per layer

Dear All,

I would like to print with alternating clockwise/anticlockwise movement of printing nozzle per layer. Does anyone know which parameter in the CURA software needs to be activated and/or adjusted to achieve this kind of nozzle movement? The aim is to reduce or prevent stress build-up in one direction as a result of one-directional movement of the printing head nozzle per layer.

Many thanks indeed and have a great day!

Sam 

Edited by WillyJo
Grammar

Posted · Alternating clockwise/anticlockwise movement of printing nozzle per layer

Is there a way to include such a plug-in in CURA software to initiate such printing nozzle movements? This setting will be beneficial to reduce or prevent stress build-up, and subsequent part deformation in sinter-based FFF parts during post-processing.

Posted · Alternating clockwise/anticlockwise movement of printing nozzle per layer

I wonder how this would reduce stress? Wouldn't most of the stress be caused by adding hot new layers to a colder base, causing an *upwards* pulling force due to shrinking?

Further, I think this might cause more ugly corners: now the ringing effects are on only one side of a corner, and they are the same for each layer. When alternating, these effects would alternate too. This might cause the same combing effects as on interlaced videos?

Worse yet, when the printer reverses direction, it will result in blobby corners, because you have laid a new hot layer on top of the first layer without allowing time for the first layer to cool. 

All of the slicers that I know of have removed this feature, which was implemented to reduce print time, but had bad side effects.

Having the possibility to have all walls print in alternating directions or in my case in ONE direction would be a wonderful feature! Setting for "print round objects only clockwise or counterclockwise or alternating".

Because: 

In my case I need a setting which have all walls print in one direction either clockwise or counterclockwise.

It took me a while to find out why the z-seam looked so ugly suddenly.

Nothing to do with speed, temperature, coasting or retraction. All experiments resulted in other problems.

225350726_Nasenvasen_UngeradeAnzahlWnde_InnenVorAuen.thumb.jpg.169a443d14ce066c660774712b548b34.jpg

The wall thickness of my print changed from 4x 0,5mm = 2 mm to 3x 0,6mm = 1,8mm.

This lead to an uneven amount of walls. It printed CW CCW CW. The result you can see in the picture.

With an even amount of walls it prints CW CW CCW CCW. The seam is smooth again.

Ultimaker, please consider adding this feature to the next version! 🙂

To have kind of a vase-mode for multiple walls would be a great improvement!

Thanks

Holger

• Like 1