Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Alternating clockwise/anticlockwise movement of printing nozzle per layer

Posted (edited) · Alternating clockwise/anticlockwise movement of printing nozzle per layer

Dear All,

I would like to print with alternating clockwise/anticlockwise movement of printing nozzle per layer. Does anyone know which parameter in the CURA software needs to be activated and/or adjusted to achieve this kind of nozzle movement? The aim is to reduce or prevent stress build-up in one direction as a result of one-directional movement of the printing head nozzle per layer.

Many thanks indeed and have a great day!

Sam 

Edited by WillyJo
Grammar
    Posted · Alternating clockwise/anticlockwise movement of printing nozzle per layer

Is there a way to include such a plug-in in CURA software to initiate such printing nozzle movements? This setting will be beneficial to reduce or prevent stress build-up, and subsequent part deformation in sinter-based FFF parts during post-processing.

Posted · Alternating clockwise/anticlockwise movement of printing nozzle per layer

I wonder how this would reduce stress? Wouldn't most of the stress be caused by adding hot new layers to a colder base, causing an *upwards* pulling force due to shrinking?

Further, I think this might cause more ugly corners: now the ringing effects are on only one side of a corner, and they are the same for each layer. When alternating, these effects would alternate too. This might cause the same combing effects as on interlaced videos?

Worse yet, when the printer reverses direction, it will result in blobby corners, because you have laid a new hot layer on top of the first layer without allowing time for the first layer to cool. 

All of the slicers that I know of have removed this feature, which was implemented to reduce print time, but had bad side effects.