What are the possible TYPE comments inserted by CURA into the GCode output?

StarNamer

Posted (edited) · What are the possible TYPE comments inserted by CURA into the GCode output?

I've noticed CURA inserts 'TYPE' comments into the GCode, which is presumably how it identifies line type and colorizes when reading GCode.

I've so far seen types FILL, SKIN, SKIRT, SUPPORT, SUPPORT-INTERFACE, WALL-INNER and WALL-OUTER. What is the complete list and, while I can probably work out some of them, what do they correspond to?

For example, is there also a BRIM type> And what does SKIN mean? 

Also there doesn't seem to be a comment for travel; how is this identified? Does it simply detect the lack of an Ennn parameter on a G0/G! ro does it assume all G0 are travel?

Thanks

Edited by StarNamer
Additional info
  • Like 1

Posted · What are the possible TYPE comments inserted by CURA into the GCode output?

That list looks quite complete.

Skin is top/bottom.

I'm surprised SKIRT is in there. I would have thought it would have been SUPPORT as well.

Indeed travels and retracted travels are identified by looking at the E values.

Cura doesn't use this when visualizing a gcode it has just generated. It's only the visualization when you load a gcode from file.

Posted · What are the possible TYPE comments inserted by CURA into the GCode output?

@StarNamer - does that answer your question?  I can explain  the others if you want.  I guess SKIN is least obvious - if you have a 1mm top/bottom thickness then sometimes it is printing "skin" which can be the topmost layer or it can be the layer just below but not including the other types like WALL.

If you look at an individual layer - cura thinks of everything as islands.  You have to think in 2D which is tricky - you have to forget it's a 3d part - and you see these islands encircled by WALL and with INFILL or SKIN inside them.

Given that there's SKIRT, I suspect there may be BRIM and RAFT - I can obviously do a quick test for that but, to date, I've never needed to use either. SKIN makes sense as I can see that a 100% FILL could look exactly the same as SKIN but would be completely hidden. After I posted the question, it occurred to me that a 'travel' would simply be a move without extruding anything; thanks to @bagel-orb for confirmation.

FYI, my interest was due to an article about postprocessing the GCode to speed up sections which aren't going to be seen; e.g. it doesn't matter if any inner wall suffers from ringing as long as the outer wall is clean. The article used GCode from Simplify3D and I wondered if the same thing was possible with CURA. I've also wondered if 'travels' could be improved as I've seen several of my models where the hot end is moved in a zigzag following a nearby model wall, for example a horizontal screw thread, when the printer could obviously move faster if it just moved further out a did a single move to the destination!

Thanks for both replies.