Posted · UM2+ replacement Main Board

Hi,

I just fried my original UM2+ mainboard (wanted to use a more stable power supply, but reversed the 24v polarity, stupidddddddd me) 😞

I can get a 'cloned' v2.1.4 mainboard for a reasonable price, but i stumbled on a v2.1.6 pcb which claims to have removable drivers.

They bundle this v2.1.4 mainboard also with 5x TMC2208 drivers (they should be super quiet).

I also see a little fan on top of the driver heatsink, which would be a plus.

Does somebody has experiences with these v2.1.6 boards (in combination with the TMC2208 drivers)? Are they any good?

See:

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32835586263.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.676556cdThk2NH&algo_pvid=66b35798-c2a2-4241-bbc7-82ccb8a0ce61&algo_expid=66b35798-c2a2-4241-bbc7-82ccb8a0ce61-0&btsid=0ab6f81e15886122992508817e1324&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Regards,

Raymond

Interesting find Raymond. I'm also keen to hear any users opinions.

HI Raymond,

Welcome in here.

Sorry to hear about your mishap.

This "new" main board is interesting as it allows to install alternative stepper drivers. 

I would ask if this upgrade to silent step, will keep the ultimaker's firmware control of the "current regulating" to all the stepper drivers as it should be, -or do you have to adjust stepper current using the small pot-meter that's located at each of the small stepper PCB's?

Thanks

Torgeir

I ordered this v2.1.6 with TMC2208 drivers. It should arive soon and i will keep you updated.

According to the seller it should be a drop in replacement (original firmware can be used).

In the past i worked with TMC2130 drivers which did not have potmeters to adjust the stepper current (current could be set programmatically using SPI), but i think you are correct about the 2208's

I read somewhere that the Vref pot setting sets RMS average current. The factory setting of 1.23v results in a current of 870mA average, which i think would be fine for the stepper motors in the UM2+

But we will see. Fingers crossed

• Like 1

2(fase)x870=1740mA -> just above the 1.7A (i think the stepper motors for the UM2+ are rated 1.7A), so i guess it will be fine.

Excited to hear you ordered it Raymond. I hope it's as good as it sounds! Please do keep us updated with what you think of it?

Hi Raymond,

Looks great. Yes they are rated 1.7 amps (but we set them to 1.2A or 1200mA in the firmware).

Would be very interesting to see how it works.

Torgeir