Expanded printer not printing to capacity

Posted · Expanded printer not printing to capacity

I've expanded print area of my anet a8 from 220 x 220 to 305 x 305. Thinking all I'd have to do with software to make use of the area would be to go into cura machines and change dimensions appropriately. Wrong. Any print that exceeds the original 220 sq capacity gets pushed to the top and right sides of the bed until the extruder nozzle hit the print and messes it all up.

I've tried other configurations such as Anet A8 large with same result.

Is there somewhere deep in the Cura software where I can change parameters to accommodate my printer?

Failure is not an option.

R.L. Gill

If cura doesn't recognize the larger bed then it won't print larger prints at all.  I fhte print is larger than 220mm wide then it will go gray in the view and it won't slice.  I assume this is not what you are complaining about.

Therefore I suspect Cura is working just fine.

Most printers have only one endstop on each of XYZ axes and then they have a *software* endstop for the other extreme.  Usually you can only fix this by building a new copy of Marlin.  Did you do this?  You would have to modify the bed dimensions in Configuration.h.

Although usually Marlin says something like "printing out of bounds".  And you didn't mention that either.

So I guess I don't understand your issue - how big is the part you are trying to print?

It's not that I'm trying to print a big part, I built the printer so I could when I wanted to. My bed is 310 x 310.

I suspect you're correct about the firmware, in fact, I was able to adjust my config.h to my expected parameters. I have not been able to load any firmware onto my mainboard, Anet 3D ver 1.5 for many reasons.

1. I know just about enough about arduino to get myself into grave trouble but I've tried many hours to get a file that will even go thru a verification process with no success what so ever.

I was hoping that cura would be an easier way out. I'm almost 70 years old and I just don't have the brains for this. I wish I knew someone who could sit beside me and mentor me but that's not likely to happen.

I appreciate your help and I'm open to any suggestions.

Thank you,

Bob

Well I don't know about anet but Ultimaker has huge friendly group of people who will do things like build a custom marlin for you (for an ultimaker - not for an anet whatever that is).  Perhaps there are similar people for the anet.  Maybe you should go find some anet forum and find someone who can build you a custom Marlin firmware for your printer.

Hi Bob,

Here is a forum for "Anet A8 & Prusa i3" printers.

https://www.thingiverse.com/groups/anet-a8-prusa-i3

Thanks

Torgeir

Thank you