Some (more) advice please..

gbr1

Posted · Some (more) advice please..

Hi All,

Completely new to this game and got my UM2 today so very excited. Carefully unpacked and most things set up.

So I went to load the filament and had to push hard, but the manual said this was the case so no problem.

The filament loaded but then as it came through I noticed this. Please see picture.

http://flic.kr/p/hWnMGJ

Obviously this is from the factory test print, is it normal to always have this after changing filaments of should I somehow remove it?

A swift reply if possible as I want to get printing:)

Many thanks

GBR1

Yeah it happens. Usually it's only a thin strand but I guess you could get this as well. I know I had to go back and forth a few times to get my filament loaded the first time (Maintenance menu -> move material).

Happens every time, here.

I started to collect them, freshly picked out of the filament driver.

And they are indeed causing trouble there, if you leave them in there...

UM2Blobs2

Would you mind sharing what you figured out for future readers?

Hi Robert,

I simple pulled open the Bowden tube at the feeder end and pulled the "blob" out.

I am not sure if this is good protocol but I have had 2 now and got them both out the same way. As others have said I think it's probably not an issue just extruding it through it just seemed better to me to remove it if at all possible.

Hope that helps?

Many thanks for all your help on here guys!

GBR1

Usually it's better to push them through than to take the bowden off. Each time you take the bowden off you are in danger of scraping/damaging it with the thin metal blades that hold it in place.