Limiting Fill

richg

Posted (edited) · Limiting Fill

Is there a way to limit where fill is done within a print. I am trying to print BOTW Shrine from Thingiverse. It appears to be as a rock formation with an entrance to a cave like opening. The problem is if I do no infill, the flat area outside the entrance and walkway in area have no support and if I enable infill, the entire cave is filled. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Grandson disappointed with 1st failed print. BTW this downloads as a huge size and i scaled it to 4% to have it fit my build plate.

ShrineFinal-altceiling.stl

Also, if I enable supports, no support is generated under these surfaces.

Edited by richg
additional info

Clarify things, make a screencapture and point out your "problem".  I opened the file in cura, had to scale it to 2.5% to fit my buildplate!

Can't see why it is not possible to print... cave is open, doesn't change with high or low infill-percentage... and since it is flat on the buildplate there is no need for support...

__WhatIsWrong.jpg

Edited by Mari

Posted · Limiting Fill

Mari, thank you for the help. If you preview line by line from the build surface up, you will see the bottom layers, and then the sides build to the point in my settings at layer 140 the flat surface going into the cave appears. there is only empty space under that surface and the print fails. I hope you can see from my picture.

WIN_20200609_16_16_43_Pro.jpg

Mari, thank you for the help. If you preview line by line from the build surface up, you will see the bottom layers, and then the sides build to the point in my settings at layer 140 the flat surface going into the cave appears. there is only empty space under that surface and the print fails. I hope you can see from my picture.

2020-06-09 (1).png

2020-06-09.png

Edited by richg

When I use infill, it fills the entire cave. My question originally was< Is there a way to limit the infill. Could I have infill up to layer 139 and not beyond? Or could I have infill only under the unsupported floor?

Edited by richg
    additional info

Don't think so... show me the setting you use...  "My" cave is open as you can see!

__YouShouldUseInfill2.jpg

Edited by Mari

Posted · Limiting Fill

I see, Thank youMari.

Posted · Limiting Fill

... but still wondering what setting you are using

Posted · Limiting Fill

You were correct, I though I had seen a photo where the entire area inside the outer shell was open space. I am Technology challenged.🤕

Posted · Limiting Fill

Happy Printing...