Ultimaker material UNKNOWN

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker material UNKNOWN

Hi, I've an Ultimaker 3 and have been using it since it came out.

The NFC spool holder never worked but it doesn't bother me much so I never try to investigate.

Last week I went through the menu on my Ultimaker (for fun) and noticed that in the NFC hardware Test in the Diagnostic menu says

NFC hardware not detected

I disassembled the spool holder and noticed that the cable is detached, I reattached the cable and check Diagnostic again, and now it says

NFC Hardware detected

I was super happy and then proceed to load my material, but it is still not detecting my Ultimaker filaments. 

I go to the NFC reader test and this is what it says

ID: 0444783acb5281
UNKNOWN

ID: 04f0ad5ad26480
UNKNOWN

My spool 1 is Ultimaker Silver PLA

My spool 2 is Ultimaker Red PLA

The materials are put with the NFC facing each other at the center. 

It would be nice if someone can point me in the direction to get it working.

Edited by barelyanything

Posted · Ultimaker material UNKNOWN

Hi,

as your sensor now works properly (the serial numbers of the NFC tags are recognized), there are three possible reasons why your material is not recognized:

Either the NFC tags are defective (which can happen), or the serial numbers are unknown to your printer, which indicates that you probably are not running the latest firmware or the serial numbers are missing in the database (which also can happen).

Possibly it helps to just unload the materials (including removal of the spools) and reload them again.

I don't know if a reset of the printer or Cura Connect could help (so I don't recommend so far).

Regards

I have unloaded my spool 1 (Ultimaker silver PLA) and spool 2 (Ultimaker Red PLA).

And then loaded the Ultimaker silver PLA into spool 2 (NFC side facing away from the back of the printer), it says 

Material not detected. Please check spool or select from list of materials.

I open a new box of sealed Ultimaker pearl white PLA on spool 1 and load the material, it also says

Material not detected. Please check spool or select from list of materials.

I waited about 1 minutes to see if it will eventually detect the material before I move on for both of the spool.

I then go to maintenance menu and do a NFC spool holder test and it says

NFC hardware detected

The printer is running firmware version

Thank you very much for your help

That's strange.

Normally when prompted to insert the spool, the "material not detected" message dissapears after a few seconds, reporting the found material.

As you say, NFC tags face each other, that's ok (material 2 placed near the printer, running clockwise, material 1 placed on the outside, running counter clockwise.

After you have run the NFC hardware test and the serial numbers of the NFC tags are recognized, you could try another thing:

In the "Material/Print Core"-Menu, sub menu "Material (1or2)", there is a point "select material", which also activates the NFC recognition of a loaded spool. It should recognize the NFC tag after a couple of seconds.

@maht, is there something else that could be done?

Regards

I just bought a new spool of pearl white PLA Ultimaker material and loaded it in SPOOL2 and now it can register automatically!
    It's so strange, it's as if all of my other materials(Red, Blue, Black, White, Translucent...) has NFC serial issues or something.

I will buy more new material and see if new materials can be registered correctly.

IMG_5844.jpeg

That's good news!

So at least your NFC reader and the material database proof working 🙂.

Could your other spools have been exposed to a strong magnetic field or so, which could have damaged the data on the NFC tags? One or two defective NFC tags may happen, but you've counted 5+ and this would be a very strange co-incidence (would be worth buying a lottery ticket 😉).

Regards