The Ultimaker Digital Factory

Posted · The Ultimaker Digital Factory

What was previously known as Cura Connect and Ultimaker Cloud will be merged under a different name; Ultimaker Digital Factory. Just like before the Ultimaker Digital Factory offers powerful cloud-based tools for remote management of Ultimaker 3D printers and teams.  

If you’ve used Cura Connect and Ultimaker Cloud before you might notice a few changes. Adding a new printer to the Digital Factory is simpler than it was before. And features that previously were local area network-only are now available in the cloud. What else can you do in the Digital Factory?

• Manage multiple 3D Printers: Add and manage multiple printers. See an overview of printers, material configurations, print jobs, and firmware versions for easy printer configuration 
  • Remote 3D printing workflow: Wherever you are, send secure print jobs via the cloud to Ultimaker 3D printers on your network, and keep track of the progress.  
  • Queuing: Schedule print jobs from a centralized queue. Stay informed on print progress, printer status, and reprint from the job history to avoid re-slicing 
  • Team sharing: Share 3D printers among teams within your business with granular control. By combining and provisioning 3D printing resources, you can help teams to optimize their production 

This isn’t just a rebrand. This is the start of a simpler, more productive, connected 3D printing workflow. 

The Digital Factory can help and support how you operate your Ultimaker 3D printers. If you haven’t tried it yet, it is available right now. Access the Ultimaker Digital Factory via Cura > Monitor or via https://account.ultimaker.com/ or any one of our online platforms via the app switcher in the top right corner.

You need firmware 5.7 or later on your Ultimaker S3 or S5. 

The exact list of features in the Digital Factory can differ for Ultimaker 3 users. This may improve with a future firmware release. 

Posted (edited) · The Ultimaker Digital Factory
    On 6/19/2020 at 8:34 AM, SandervG said:
    • Analytics: See the big picture of your 3D printing process through detailed analytics. Optimize your workflow by monitoring printer idle time, time in queue for print jobs, material usage, and more 
    • Maintenance schedule: Keep your 3D printers in perfect condition and maximize uptime. The Ultimaker Digital Factory's maintenance schedule lets you know when any action is needed for your hardware upkeep 

@SandervG I haven't seen anything for analytics or maintenance schedule yet, and I have definitely had issues with the analytics page in the past(never loaded properly). Running an S5 gen1 with latest firmware

Edited by Tyller

2 minutes ago, Fablab_Pierrefonds said:

I just updated my Ultimaker S3 firmware to the latest version and when I click "Connect" in the Digital Factory menu, nothing happens. I should say that the connection to the Cloud never worked on this printer.

If it's never worked then my guess would be its more your network/router side than the printers. If the printers internet is setup you might find your network/router firewall is blocking the cloud.

If you are able to, try turning off any firewalls on your network/router and see if it works then, if it does you will need to find out what ports/domains you need to give access to on your firewall/router. @SandervG might know this info for you if it is that whats the problem.

Posted (edited) · The Ultimaker Digital Factory
    12 minutes ago, Carla_Birch said:

If it's never worked then my guess would be its more your network/router side than the printers. If the printers internet is setup you might find your network/router firewall is blocking the cloud.

If you are able to, try turning off any firewalls on your network/router and see if it works then, if it does you will need to find out what ports/domains you need to give access to on your firewall/router. @SandervG might know this info for you if it is that whats the problem.

I tried multiple fixes with ctbeke from Ultimaker but nothing ever worked. I really doubt it's the network because I tried with multiple networks (phone hotspot, home network with no firewall, work internet, etc.) AND I am able to connect with the other printer I have (Ultimaker 3) using my phone hotspot.

Edited by Fablab_Pierrefonds

On 6/25/2020 at 10:13 PM, Tyller said:

@SandervG I haven't seen anything for analytics or maintenance schedule yet, and I have definitely had issues with the analytics page in the past(never loaded properly). Running an S5 gen1 with latest firmware

Hi @Tyller that is probably my bad. Analytics and Maintenance shouldn't be in the list (yet). They should follow later. I have removed them from my post so it wouldn't confuse others. If you want to access the maintenance schedule, you can go to Cura > Monitor and click on the printer you want to see the maintenance schedule for. If you want to see the analytics page you should Cura > Monitor and there should be a button that says Ultimaker Connect  / Manage printer and you should be able to find it there. (I am doing this by memory so the exact wording may be slightly off). 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 7:23 PM, Fablab_Pierrefonds said:

I tried multiple fixes with ctbeke from Ultimaker but nothing ever worked. I really doubt it's the network because I tried with multiple networks (phone hotspot, home network with no firewall, work internet, etc.) AND I am able to connect with the other printer I have (Ultimaker 3) using my phone hotspot.

Well unfortunately if @ctbeke couldn't help with this topic I probably can't either. Have you contacted your reseller to see if perhaps the wifi module on your electronics is functioning? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SandervG said:

Hi @Tyller that is probably my bad. Analytics and Maintenance shouldn't be in the list (yet). They should follow later. I have removed them from my post so it wouldn't confuse others. If you want to access the maintenance schedule, you can go to Cura > Monitor and click on the printer you want to see the maintenance schedule for. If you want to see the analytics page you should Cura > Monitor and there should be a button that says Ultimaker Connect  / Manage printer and you should be able to find it there. (I am doing this by memory so the exact wording may be slightly off). 

The Maintenance Schedule and Analytics features are currently only available in the local network in what previously was called Ultimaker Connect. We're working on bringing these features to the cloud part of Digital Factory as well, but they need some more work to be implemented properly (especially the meta aspect across multiple printers/clusters, and taking access management into account). It's pretty high on our list though as many customers are asking for this.

On 6/26/2020 at 7:23 PM, Fablab_Pierrefonds said:

It's unfortunate that we weren't able to solve your networking issues a while back. If I remember correctly, we received some logs from you and found networking related errors in them, but we were unable to resolve them for your particular machine (event after firmware reset). I have however forwarded those logs to the embedded software team that works on the S-line firmware (including networking), so hopefully they can figure out the root cause.