Cant connect S5 to digital factory

Posted · Cant connect S5 to digital factory

@GLIL I have spoken to some of the engineers in our embedded systems department. They asked me to check with you if your network might be running Active Directory (AD) as domain controller (and DNS) by any chance. We have seen issues with networks that use AD for DNS before (appearently AD has implemented some networking standards incorrectly there, or it caches too much). If you could check that for me that'd be great.

Chris

1 minute ago, GLIL said:

I know for a fact that we do run MS Active Directory!

Interesting! Could you confirm with your IT admin if they also use AD as DNS server inside the (V)LAN? Also, I got some commands you can run on the printer to verify (if you enable developer mode via the printer setting screen and then SSH into the machine):

vi ./system/multi-user.target.wants/connman.service

Inside that file, modify the ExecStart line like this:

ExecStart=/usr/sbin/connmand -n -o -r -c /var/lib/connman/ultimaker_network.config

(move the -r to before the -c, this lets the network stack no longer use the LAN DNS proxy)

systemctl daemon-reload
    systemctl restart connman

It's also OK if you're not able to do this, just getting confirmation from IT that AD manages your DNS already helps us a lot to confirm the root cause!

Chris

They/we do. I did an NSLOOKUP and the DNS server is definitely part of our AD domain. (I would ask our IT folks directly, but they typically aren't too keen on discussing anything specific about the network with anyone not in their department).

It's worth noting my colleague had attempted setting up Digital Factory as well, but with our U3, and experienced similar issues, so it's not just our S5, which makes it seem more likely to be a network issue. FWIW

Turns out the SSH/vi stuff is a little bit beyond me...

Thanks for confirming.

If the nslookup indicates that AD is involved in DNS I think we have found the issue.

Ultimaker also runs AD and we experience similar issues under certain circumstances, but this confirmation that it also happens on your AD controlled network helps us to get to the core of the problem.

I know the embedded software team and our own IT department are looking into this particular issue, so once they have some information I'll be sure to share it with you. This could for example be a guide that explains what to configure in AD to make it work correctly (as I've said before, it currently looks like AD is not adhering to some network standards that our printer assumes are in place).

• Like 1

Thank you, I appreciate the help and the follow-up on this!

Hey @ctbeke

Would you be able to check out our S5 log files as well? After the firmware the connection got lost with my computer and cannot seem to be connecting to the factory, like everyone else. Thanks in advance! 

ultimakersystem-ccbdd30061a1.6.2.0.config.zip

13 hours ago, epakkane said:

Hey @ctbeke

Would you be able to check out our S5 log files as well? After the firmware the connection got lost with my computer and cannot seem to be connecting to the factory, like everyone else. Thanks in advance! 

ultimakersystem-ccbdd30061a1.6.2.0.config.zip 280.73 kB · 0 downloads

Hi @epakkane,

I've scanned through your logs and I see the following line:

socket.gaierror: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution

This means the printer was not able to resolve the api.ultimaker.com DNS record. This usually happens in certain network setups where for example the DNS server on the LAN caches records for too long. Things you can try:

* Reboot the printer.

* Do a factory reset via the touch screen.

* Check if you can resolve api.ultimaker.com manually from your own computer (in the same network), e.g. using nslookup.

* If you have a company-controlled network, ask your IT department to check the DNS setup (known setups that cause problems are networks with an Active Directory domain controller).

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks a bunch! I am still struggling to get the guy to connect to the API though. And our university network blocks the use of nslookup, so my hands are pretty much tied. Could you further explain on the comment 'check the DNS setup'? 

On 3/12/2021 at 7:35 PM, epakkane said:

Thanks a bunch! I am still struggling to get the guy to connect to the API though. And our university network blocks the use of nslookup, so my hands are pretty much tied. Could you further explain on the comment 'check the DNS setup'? 

Unfortunate that you can't do some tests, but no problem, I understand how IT departments can be 😛

Could you confirm with them if they happen to run Microsoft Active Directory in the network? And if Active Directory is used for domain control and DNS as well? If so, you're likely experience a known (but yet unresolved) issue where Active Directory does not fully adhere to DNS specifications that the printer expects are in place (see the long thread above about this topic). If not, we'll have to dig deeper and find another root cause of your DNS resolve error logs.

Chris